Greetings. I probably should wait to ask this until I get more specific information. But my school is thinking about a campus-wide wireless network. The IT department is currently testing the concept in the library (my domain), where up to now we've had a secured wired network for the resident computers and an unsecured wireless network for students coming in with their laptops. It's a Windows XP Pro/PC world here, and they're wanting to secure the wireless network, too.

Up to now I could bring in my PB2400c (running OS 8.6), pop in my TrueMobile card with an ORiNOCO driver, and connect no problem. Not so now! They are requiring a certificate file to be loaded on our computers for authentication, combined with the same login information we use to get on to the wired network. The IT department folks get a glazed expression on their faces when you say you have a Mac. Apparently, if you're running XP Pro on your laptop it will auto configure for access. I don't know if the certificate is a simple text file that loads an encryption key, etc. or what. They didn't say it was a VPN.

But the bottom line question is: Am I out of luck getting my "Old World" 2400 onto this network, or is there a work around (assuming a half-way responsive IT department)? My wireless card supports 128-bit encryption (I have this working at home). But I don't know what else may be required. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary F. Daught