Check out this : http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/hardware/pb150/PB150_and_CompactFlash.html

CF replaces hard drive.

This is from hackaday. Pertains, I hope, to the current discussion except the CF actually replaces the hard drive. Fairly technical but just reading it provides some details on how the chain works. Any real techies out there might want to check out hackaday now and then. There are some very good hacks on things we all use. If you live in an apartment building, the elevator button hack works really well! It's hackaday dot com if anyone is looking for something different.

BM