Howard,

Greetings again. OK, I decided to turn off Virtual Memory. I notice the System
and apps are drawing more resources (particularly the System which has jumped
by almost 10MB with most of my apps open). I've regained some RAM using Audion
instead of iTunes (as was suggested). But I'm now about 7MB shy of being able
to open ALL my routine apps. How much free space should I leave? What likely
candidate control panels and extensions can I turn-off in the System to try to
regain some RAM?

For example, if I'm no longer messing around with Appearance, General Controls,
keyboard, numbers, etc., etc. can I turn these off? As for extensions, I've
already turned off QuickDraw 3D, but what about MPEG Extension, Musical
Instruments, PowerPlug and VR in QuickTime 5.0.2, etc.? Also, are installed
Fonts actually using RAM, or only storage space for apps like Word? And what
about all the Microsoft extensions (eek!)? I know the answer depends on what
apps I actually use, but if there are some obvious RAM hogs I can turn off that
is what I'm after. Thanks!

Gary