Sorry, wrong subject line

Now it seems to be working...

So, I have a PowerBook 5300 with a broken screen. I only want to retrieve my
data, and so want to connect the laptop to an external screen. What is the
part that converts the video port to the type of cable/port that is now
typical--and where can I find it?

I would try to extract the hard drive, but I do not have access to a
computer with an OS lower than 10.0.

Any help would be much appreciated, and I will gladly donate the computer to
anyone once my data is retrieved.

Christine