In a message dated 1/16/2006 11:22:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hello, and first off I would like to announce my re-subscription to
>  this mailing list.  I left as my 1400 died but after about 4 months I
>  used it and it started to work.  Now I have the urge to upgrade my
>  1400 to Mac OS 9.  At the moment I have Mac OS 8.6 and it runs
>  smoothly and I like it, but I like some of the features of Mac OS 9.
>  So please give me your thoughts!

I agree with the other listers; without a G3 upgrade in your 1400, running
OS9  , while certainly possible (a friend has it on his 5300ce!) , is not going
to set any speed records. A 233mhz G3 processor should be in the $50 range
now, or even cheaper is the 183mhz PPC upgrade, if you can find one.

I would also say get yourself the RAM module you need to boost your onboard
RAM up to the max 64mb. Then, instead of using virtual, get yourself a copy of
RAM Doubler. That at least makes the 64mb ceiling possible to deal with.

Finally, apart from some high-end things, 8.6 and 9.0 seem pretty much the
same to me, although admittedly I may not know what I am talking about. I
remember I once was interesed in putting iTunes on my main Powerbook, and
contemplated moving to OS9, but then I found a patch that would allow iTunes to
be used
it 8.6.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun! Patiently upgrading is half the excitement
of resurrecting old 'books!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Ivy F., AL
"Roll Tide!"