Am 21.01.2006 um 21:32 Uhr schrieb PowerBooks im Digest-Modus:

>(Andy:) Does anyone else find it even slightly amusing that LOW END Mac is
>running these lists? ;-)

Of course, it sounds hilarious, but remember the temporary subtitle of the LEM Homepage: "Because every Mac is low-end some time". Obsolescence is fast, why not make usefulness (and that's what LEM is providing by its content as well as by the lists) faster?

>(Yersinia [p.]:) Hmmmm, well, maybe it's time for "Low End" Macs to change its name

See above.

> ... or something. I agree that a G4 is not a "low end" Mac and neither are
>G-Books. Since I don't have a G-Book, I'm not on the G-Books list, but
>shortly after I bought a G3 Beige DT from the Swap List (spring 2003), I
>did join the G-list, which I'm still on -- and wondering now what I'm
>doing there. Yeah, there are still a few "old fashioned holdouts" like me
>for whom old G3s running OS 9.2.2 serve all their computing needs
>(hahaha, while also being an old Powerbook user happy with 7.5.5 on a 190 >and 8.6 on a 5300), but the majority of the G-listers are on G4s, and G5s
>seem to have been cropping up like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

<big snip>

>It's just that I wish there was a list for people like me.
>
>~Yersinia.

Here, I really love Brian's answer... But I understand the problem. Myself, I feel sometimes like quitting the PowerBooks list because the most recent one in my herd of Powerbooks is a 190 cs, but discussion on the list is nearly exclusively about PPC PowerBooks.

>(Dan:) Today's high-end is tomorrow's low-end. And let's face it, from the
>benchmarks starting to appear, the new x86 iMac is barely medium-end.
>
>The name is good.  The community is great.  Keep it.
>
>- Dan.

Dan says it all. And with the introduction of the "medium end", we can all get together and celebrate a new age of imaginary geometry!

Cheers, OM

 /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ / No HTML/RTF in email
  X  No Word docs in email