In a message dated 1/29/06 1 10 13 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I slid the battery back in, and then tried to power up again and
nothing happened.  SO, I plugged it into the AC adapter, and boom, it
powered up instantly - without pressing anything.  All is well,
except now, when it boots up it says that there was a memory test
error, then followed by a warning that there isn't enough memory to
install my extensions and is booting up without them.  Worse of all,
when I now go to "About the Computer" I have suddenly dropped from
what used to be 144mb of physical RAM to the original 16mb! >>

In addition to checking if the RAM is properly seated, I would also try a
good "4-bong" PRAM reset at startup (after 1st startup bong, press+hold keys
"Apple"/"Option"/"P"/"R" until you hear three additional startup bongs).

By the way; The fact that the 3400c powered back up instantly also tells me
that your PRAM battery is not working properly.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Ivy F., AL
"Roll Tide!"
Beiges, 'Books and other oddities