In a message dated 1/29/06 10:52:37 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Okay, good news and bad news. I went into the hard drive, Apple Extras
>folder, and found "Network Software Selector". There was TCP/IP. I selected
>it. I had to restart the computer. Then I opened the control panel, TCP/IP.

Out of sight! Now we're cooking with grease!

>There were several choices, so I'll start at the top. First was "Connect
>via:", I selected alternate ethernet.
>Second was "Configure:", I selected using DHCP server.
>Third, it asks for IP address, Subnet mask, router address, and Name server
>address. But all of these have <will be selected by server> beside them.

That is exactly what it is supposed to say.

>Now the bad news. Netscape still says it can't make a connection. However,
>I'm not disgusted yet because I'm trying to route this through my DSL modem
>at home and it probably won't work here.

More bad news: The above setup of TCP/IP should work with DSL, Cable Modem...
any network setup. In fact, if you re-open the TCP/IP panel, the address
should be populated with numbers. If they start with "169" that means you do
not
have a connection with the network, however.

After checking that you have a good connection via the ethernet cable from
the DSL modem to your laptop (or if there is a router/switch in between), I
would try another ethernet cable.

>I'm going to try it at work
>tomorrow on that network. That's where I really want it to work anyway.
>Any comments or suggestions about what to try?

a few:
1) what version of Netscape are you using? Maybe it's too old to properly use
over an ethernet connection (doubt it), or maybe it has not been configured
correctly to use via DHCP? Maybe it is setup to use via a PPP dialup connection?

2) To get another internet app on your laptop, you could find a AOL cd-rom
floating around somewhere.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Ivy F., AL
"Roll Tide!"