> Well, I am not familiar with your particular Asante adapter,
> but many Asante ethernet cards have problems with routers
> that "auto-negotiate" the connection speed (i.e. 10/100).
>
> I have gotten around this problem by connecting a 10baseT hub
> between the Asante device and the autosensing router or switch.

Finally an answer that makes sense for a problem I have had with my 540c (I
have the Asante adapter too).  My work around involved connecting to the router
with another computer first (apparently this stepped down speed) then I could
connect with the 540...

I had been told it was a speed issue, but everyone was pointing at the router
saying it couldn't recognize T/100.  However, the computer I would connect with
first was also T/100, so I couldn't figure it out.  Sounds like an issue with
Asante adapters...