I use squirrel mail as a way of not downloading stuff I don't want.
I look into my 2 email accounts (different isp's) and "select all"
then I uncheck the ones I want, then I hit the delete button.  That
way I get rid of 80% of what is in my inbox on the server without
ever downloading it.  Since I use a satellite broadband (satellite up
and down)  internet service (Wildblue, which comes through electric
cooperatives across the country) and have a monthly usage (download/
upload) quota before I get my bandwidth reduced, this keeps me well
under my limit.  When I'm "on the road" with the iBook, I simply
"clean" the mailbox each day using squirrelmail and safari, and
download the "keepers" on my iBook using Apple Mail, which figures
out which ones it has already downloaded and just brings in the new
stuff, but is set not to delete from the server.  That way I can
answer ones I want to deal with right away.  When I return home, I
download the whole thing and delete from the server. It's just my
system of keeping up with important stuff and disregarding all the
"spam".