Rick Lecoat said:

> a deleted file (ie. one that you've put
>in the trash and then emptied) is not really erased, it is merely
>removed from the list of 'current' files and the space it takes up is
>flagged by the operating system as being 'available to be written to'.
>
>Whether the same is true of files that have been copy-replaced with a
>file of the same name... I don't know. Maybe someone here of a more
>technical bent can answer that.

To the best of my experience, the file is now truly gone. If the other DB
file was much smaller, some text retrieval software may be able to get
something back from the old DB. I think the best tool for this job is
probably "Data Rescue X". There's a demo to see what it can do (retrieves
one file) before purchase.
PM 5.2.1 | OS X 10.3.9 | Powerbook G4/400 | 768MB RAM | 30GB HD