Bingo!!

Thanks Jerome!  Yes, I was also having problems with StuffIt crashing
everytime I tried to open a .ZIP or .SIT download.  I downloaded the
latest StuffIt Expander from

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download3.html

deleted previous versions, and now PM is up and running again.

Obviously, a notice needs to be posted as others are likely to
encounter the same.

best,
-merrill