Barbara Needham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The partial solution I have found is to download my mail by pop [leave
> messages on server] and connect by IMAP. [dot mac server, that may make a
> difference]. This enables spam to be deleted by the pop download and at
> the later imap connection it is gone.

To add onto this, let's mention you can filter (at least with SpamSieve)
even on *partly downloaded* emails. That's very fast.

On the spam-saturated accounts that I am obliged to keep, I have set PM
to "download only the first 5K", then SpamSieve filters them (and never
fails, despite using it like this of course is definitely not advisable
according to its author), then PM connects again and as I also set
"delete on server when deleted here", the spam, and only the spam, is
deleted from the server.
I even prepared an automata to do this once a day when I am travelling*,
so that I am ensured that when connecting anywhere via webmail I don't
get 560 spams and my regular mail buried after some days...

Hervé

(*) nothing geeky as I'm not a geek: mac set to switch on at a given
hour and launch PM upon startup, PM set to auto-connect on launch,
script set to quit PM after a while then to relaunch it (with a GUI to
cron) so on that second launch the deleted spams are deleted on the
POPserver, mac set to switchoff after all of this. Last thing I forgot:
spam filter in PM set to move spams to trash folder instead of spam one,
and PM set to  empty trash upon quitting.
OF COURSE THIS IS DANGEROUS, as you can really delete good mail without
any chance to retrieve it, nor even notice, if for instance your spam
filter is not well educated. For me I use a Spamsieve database that was
elaborated after some two years of good filtering, and which I consider
definitely good. Think about it twice, though, and don't come blame me
later :-)

--
remove ".listes" and add a dot after fh please
enlevez ".listes" et ajoutez un point après fh