Before you do any importing into your PowerMail, make a Back up of your
PM Mail folder. It's kept in the ~/mail/Powermail File folder. I'd
suggest just make a Stuffit archive of that whole PowerMail file folder.
Or maybe burn it onto a CD, just to be safe. _ Oh heck, make LOTS of Back
Ups, every now & then while you are working with the transfer operation.

I say this because when I was trying to get PowerMail to work after
importing many thousands of emails from Claris Emailer into it I had to
import & export a whole lot of times from PowerMail. Many times I was
surprised to get more than I expected, leaving me with duplicates of a
few thousand emails at a time. Oh, and I had to re-make all my Mail
Filters each time, since the folders weren't the same folders... Yuk!

Rather then delete each one, I dumped the whole mess & reverted to back
up, then deleted the messages that I knew I was going to be re-importing
again, so as to prevent the dups.

I did export a number of times to various formats, including PowerMail
export, and unix mailbox. I was just trying to clean up PowerMail after
dumping many years of Emailer messages into it. PM sort of choked at
first, but after a few tedious days of exorting deleting & importing, I
finally go tit working ok.  In my case, starting PM with the command &
options keys was not helpful - PM would crash during any/all of those
operations.

My solution was to export ALL mail & everything, Make lots of back up
copies so I could revert to any one of them at various stages of repair,
then delete all emails in PM, and reimport again.  I did make use of
BBEdit to look at the exported files, trying to find any odd characters
or signs of corruption. But I didn't.

However, there was no doubt that somehow certain messages seemed to cause
PM real problems. I never could figure out why.

Even though I ended up not being able to get all my Claris Emailer
messages into PM, I did eventually get past it, and I saved ALL my
Emailer messages in the EMA FileMaker database. It took about 3 days just
to make that transfer, and I had to baby sit it, waiting for freezes.

Hope this helps.

Best,
 Dave Nathanson
 Mac Medix