At 1:39 PM -0600 on Tuesday, November 16, 2004, Robert Snyder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have been upgrading the security on my mail server to use SSL for POP,
>IMAP, and SMTP. I have been successful on using SSL for IMAP and POP on
>with Power Mail 5.1 on my server, but am having problems with SMTP.
>
>I checked with another list about what port SSL SMTP uses and have been
>told that it uses 25, along with non-ssl smtp. However, when I try
>setting the Power Mail account to use ssl and manually set the port to
>25, I get a protocol mismatch error on port 25 of my mail server. I tried
>using 465, but SMTP is not listening on that port, and I was told that no
>one has used that port for ssl SMTP for for years.
>
>I was told that port, "25 does both SSL and non-SSL. The clients use the
>"STARTTLS" command to reconfigure the connection as an SSL connection."
>
>Does Power Mail support this?

STARTTLS on port 25 and SSL on port 465 are two entirely different
things. Unfortunately, PowerMail only supports the latter, which isn't
used as much by e-mail providers as the former. If CTM could add STARTTLS
to PowerMail, I might be able to stop jumping between PowerMail and
Sylpheed. :-((

Emily