Update:

I now have made a basic rebuild and compact, but not a low level one.
Messages are still gone or most in the trash. I also have these symptoms:

When sending, PM says "Not enough Memory" and 1 messages out of several
hang forever (even between restarts it is in "sending" mode even as
they're no connection going on. The other seem to go trough (as this one?
). I only have 2 swap files going. After a while PM crashes. I think this
the first time this happens to me.

PowerMail support suggested earlier for a similar problem as a last
resort, after a low level rebuild - which I still have left to try -, to
export to PM mailbox and reimport to a new user environment. I hope I
don't have to go there.

I said earlier:

>Anyone else experienced this?:
>
>Hundreds of messages move from the inbox between restarts of PM, some are
>found in the trash, but some recent messages seem gone.
>
>As you may recall I had a similar problem before, where messages moved as
>they were read, but then they moved to the inbox. A rebuild fixed that
>problem, so I'm turning to that now.

PM 5.0.1 | OS X 10.3.4 | Powerbook G4/400 | 768 MB RAM | 30 GB HD