On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:53:30 +0100, Rick Lecoat wrote:

>The old files are a backup of the database prior to compacting. Once you
>have tested the new, compact version and are happy that it is performing
>as intended, you can trash the 'old' files.

This brings up a question that's been in the back of my mind for ages -
how DO you test your new mail database accurately, without checking every
message or at least a large percentage of them. I've got 35K+ messages
spread over about 50 folders, so is there a utility or method to compare
a database, before and after compaction.

I guess I'm paranoid that some tiny corruption could be lurking and
though I keep backups of my old mail databases, the thoughts of trying to
merge an old one to recover lost records fills me with dread. So far,
though, I've never had a problem with PowerMail, I hasten to add :-)

Neil