As have been told before by others as well as myself, already concerning
PM 4, PowerMails could be improved in the area of View Only behavior. To
my surprise I've found that I called out "great" too early when I found
that filtering on partials, not in the beginning of the headerfield works
in version 5. There seem to still be a serious problem with View Only
filtering in PM 5.
PM 5 won't let you filter on the email address at all, even as that is in
the From field and it must be regarded that the common user would expect
that PM 5 would regard the email address as well as the name. Some users
in mailing lists doesn't even use a name in addition to the email
address, so I suppose they are unfilterable. As I recall it filtering on
the email address was doable in PM 4 as long as you had the first 5 or so
characters or something like that.

To exemplify, in my PowerMail Discussions folder, I have according to
Search 206 messages from [EMAIL PROTECTED], which is Marlyse
Comte's address. If I try to filter the From field with "marlyse" I get
207 messages. Hmmm, maybe a separate email address? A search for
"Marlyse" + does not include "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (or parts of the
address) doesn't verify this assumption. OK, I leave this anomaly for now.
If I instead filter with View Only on the mail address
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" I get 0 messages! Same with beginning
partials of that string. "mc" brings up some other users with mc in their
name.
So does this indicate that View Only and Search are using two different
mechanisms for finding the messages? I'm not sure, but something prevents
View Only from acting upon what is not visible of the data in the From
field header, that much seem clear as "Comte" also find 207 messages.
Naturally a user should be able to expect that View Only would regard the
complete From headerfield including the email address and ignoring the
"<" and ">", don't you agree?

Why is this limitation in place? Is it really necessary to limit an
extraordinary function that prevents the user from finding messages that
they are being lead to expect to be able to find? I find that hard to belive.

I suggest the ability to filter on the complete headerfields "From, "To"
and "Subject" are brought into an incremental update as soon as possible.
This is a basic and important function in PowerMail, that also are one of
the main attractions. Don't compromise on those!

PM 5.0 | OS X 10.3.4 | Powerbook G4/400 | 384 MB RAM | 30 GB HD