Comments inline.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004, Marlyse Comte said:

>thanks Andy -
>
>so, to define a global variable I just write
>
>global: "nameVariable"

The syntax is just "global nameVariable", without the quotes. I don't
often start my scripts with a run statement but if you use one then I
think I'd put the global declaration inside the run statement.

>and that would apply as a variable to PM and to iCal... as it is global.
>correct? and I would do that before even "on run"?

It should work that way. That's how I passed variable names in my Burst
package.

>that might have been my problem before. I kind of bypassed the variable
>by using "the clipboard", assuming if the Script Editor turns it blue,
>it's some global thing, and it seems to work.
>
>but as you assumed, defining the selection has a bit a drawback, I really
>need to have the text selected, which does not work with the From or
>Reply-To field, they deselect the moment I move the mouse.
>
>how would I "assign in the usual fashion" a FROM to selection or to
>clipboard or whatever so I could pass it on and paste it later in the
>script into iCal?

tell application "PowerMail 5.0b12"
        set theMessages to current messages
        repeat with msg in theMessages
                -- put your code here to do something on each message msg
  set theText to sender of msg
  set theName to display name of theText
  set theEmail to email address of theText
  display dialog theName
  display dialog theEmail
        end repeat
end tell

Of course, in the above example you would likely have to declare theName
and theEmail as globals. Something like the following.

global theName, theEmail

Keep asking specific questions.

--
Andy Fragen