You see, I fall on the other side of this. My workflow is to decide
immediately whether to keep a message or trash it. And when I decide to
trash it, I don't need it to stay in the trash. I typically empty the
trash every half hour or so.

On the other hand, I do like the option of leaving on server and deleting
from server when something is deleted from the local trash. Of course,
having both options is even better!!

On the other hand, improved IMAP support could take care of some this,
perhaps.

--
Sherman