Ben,

Please try reconstruction with the option mentioned in the release notes
of the recently-posted b3, although from the tone of the error message I
would surmise that you are indeed facing irreversible trouble. Perhaps at
least the new version will give you an error code that we can work from ?

Also, try this: when PowerMail compacts a database, it leaves a copy of
the former files in the PowerMail files folder with the suffix .old.
After having made a backup of your entire data folder, try deleting the
files which result from the compact operation (the ones which do not have
.old at the end) then rename the .old files by deleting the suffix, and
relaunch. From there, do a reconstruction with the option and command
keys ON FIRST LAUNCH with all the options turned on.

Let us know how you fare, thanks !