>Thanks for your suggestions and to everyone else too, but I'm no nearer a
>solution. Any other ideas gratefully received.

Pat,

are you sure you found and deleted in "Your Username/Library/
Preferences"all these:

com.aladdinsys.Expander
com.aladdinsys.DropStuff
com.stuffit.Expander.plist
com.stuffit.Deluxe.plist
com.stuffit.Engine.plist
com.ctmdev.PowerMail.plist
"Aladdin" folder
PowerMail Prefs

?

The following demand you have admin login handy and change the owner of
the containing folder (remember to change back)

in /Library/Application Support/" you deleted the
Aladdin folder
?

and in "/Library/Preferences/"
com.stuffit.DropTar.plist
com.stuffit.DropZip.plist
com.stuffit.Engine.plist
com.stuffit.stuff.plist
com.stuffit.ExpressPE.plist
com.stuffit.Expander.plist
?

and finally in "library/frameworks/" you got rid of the folder
"StuffIt.framework"
 ?

Alternatively you made sure these have been deleted.

Then restart, before you reinstall, just in case something remains in cache.

I'd also boot first into single mode: Command-S at boot and write

fsck -y  plus return, before I'd