On 05 2 2003 at 8:10 pm -0500, Takehiko Abe wrote:

>"Minimize Window" is misleading! Please rename it to "Suck to Dock"
>and change its shortcut to command+shift+option+control+Suck.

In my opinion, Apple has really screwed up with their recommendations for
cmd-M = minimize to dock and cmd-H = hide application.  I agree, they
should have chosen more obscure shortcuts, laden with modifiers, to
accomplish these tasks.  Not only do I personally rarely ever have a
desire to invoke the functions, but the "vanilla" keycodes are already a
scarce resouce for app developers (there are only 26 letters of the roman
alphabet after all, many of which are in use for ubiquitous functions
like open, save, close, etc).

Personally, in applications I'm developing (http://www.doggiebox.com) I
am deliberately ignoring the HIG in this regard.  I will assign the main
menu keys as I see fit, and I will only consider rearranging them to
support Apple's weird ideals if I start to receive user feedback on the
subject.

-ben

--
Ben Kennedy, chief magician