Michael, thanks for sharing that experience. Sometimes clients do it
well, sometimes they don't. I've played with Thunderbird, and it only
passes the first part of a broken URL to Safari. A friend's mail.app did
the same with a broken URL I sent.

From what I can see, the lowest common denominator approach is to create
small URLs with tinyurl.com and put them on their own lines.

  Bill