Jeremy Hughes said:

>Apart from the inconvenience of having to compact the database regularly
>(it takes about 30 minutes to do this on my 2GHz iMac), another problem
>with the monolithic file format is that incremental backups (Retrospect,
>Time Machine, whatever) have to back up the entire database each time it
>changes. With Apple Mail, all that gets backed up are the changed mailboxes.

That's an invalid argument as far as I'm concerned as you're not using a
truly modern backup application. Checkout Qrecall <www.qrecall.com> at
only $30 introductory offer. I'm buying it.

Qrecall only backup the parts of the file that are different. This is
great if you work with 24bit/96Khz Audiofiles or Raw DV-video as I do.
Compared with those the PM DB is very very small.

Mikael

Technoids:
PM 5.6.3 build 4504 sv / SpamSieve 2.6.6 sv | OS X 10.4.8 | Powerbook
G4/400 | 1GB / 80GB