Nope. This is Internet myth territory.

If you display email as HTML, someone can embed in the message an image
that is loaded via a URL request. That someone now knows that you
requested the image and can deduce that you probably viewed his message
as HTML.

If you trust the person who sent the HTML message, you are OK.
If you do not know the person who sent the HTML message, don't "view as HTML".
If it is not an HTML message, relax.

Richard Hart