CTM info said:

>The situation you describe is not something we've ever been able to
>reproduce and hence fix - in fact, do you think we could have gotten
>away with a database-to-POP3 server synchronization request since
>version 3 (2001 ?).

First of all, thanks for responding and rendering my response to
Matthias pointless. :-)

Yes, you could have gotten away wit that if it was a rare bug causing
it. I have not had this problem on every account I use. Hence in the
early years I blamed the account servers. As Gmail is a high profile
company I'm less inclined to blame them this time.  At least if only
PowerMail is affected. Weighing in on this that is also my experience of
having this problem on my own mail server (now gone).

>Lack of reproduceability is the #1 reason for which
>things don't get changed in our software; disproportionate effort/result
>ratio would be #2. Disinterest would be very, very low on the list.
Well, how were you expecting to be able to reproduce it, if you didn't
ask for data or my assistance?
As this the first response I have got on this issue, the latter
conclusion have been hard to avoid.

If you do want to help me with this issue, this is how I'm thinking
about the aspects involved:

* As Gmail server communications are encrypted with SSL I'm not sure how
I could diagnose the client/server communication. Perhaps I could set up
some kind of local middleware server or mirror and let that app make the
encrypted connection and use a normal local connection. I'm not sure
that would help though, beause maybe the data could be distorted hiding
the problem.
What would help getting a connection stream would be PowerMail debug
logging, if that was available.

*But even with that I would be at loss without advice what to actually
do about this issue. Maybe it's not the number one priority as the
problem is more likely to be about what PowerMail asks for rather than
what the server is sending back ?

*Is there some way I can diagnose the PM user environment for
synchronization problems? Bits to look at or send to you? This doesn't
seem like the sort of problem that can't be solved. At least not with
cooperation.

Let me know what we can do.