I'd use the normal Co-60 DAC for Rx disassembly with an 18 mo decayed mix and
then I think your data would show you would want to use an effective DAC for Rx
head lift, cavity decon, and reactor reassembly.  PWRs with a fresh mix
typically see gamma spec DAC a factor of 2-3 times less than assuming Co-60.

You can get the slow alarm uCi/cc off the monitor and count with gamma spec to
get the DAC/uCi/cc for that unique mix.  We recognize the efficiency of the
monitor changes with mix and the gamma spec will give us the DAC for the
reported uCi/cc for that mix with some Rn influence.  That response will also
vary slightly from unit to unit.  If you compared with a GM frisker assuming
10% efficiency and gamma spec you'd expect a slightly diff response.  If you
only use the uCi/cc off of the gamma spec of the air sample, it will likely be
more accurate than assuming Co-60, but it won't include the response of the
instrument to the actual mix or Rn influence.  I would also not run the monitor
too long to minimize the contribution from Rn buildup.  If you calculated an
effective DAC of 5E-6, I'd probably put 1E-7 in the monitor to provide some
margin reflecting variances in the field.  That's still a significant
improvement in the accuracy of the response.  You could refine by checking
several air samples in succession.  You could very easily start building up
data points each outage that would further support and refine what you're
doing.  Once you build some data points vs air samples, you can then keep an
eye on air samples to validate your mix isn't changing significantly to alter
your previous measurements.

Ultimately you need to have this figured out before Rx head lift and cavity
drain down, so  you need to use the historical value from the previous outage
or you'll miss the critical opportunity to have the setpoints in place before
the outage starts.  Rx head lift and cavity decon are the best time to capture
these samples as these are the periods of interest.  That will also be the mix
for remaining reactor reassembly.

Steam generator work is also interesting as the contamination levels on the
platform start with a decayed mix that will change to fresh with Co-58 as the
eddy current probes pull that mix out of the steam generators.  I've found SG
work to be more difficult as they are moving gamma sources around all the time
to potentially cause false alarms, changes to the gamma subtract factor, etc.
You also struggle with base gamma dose rates to maximize sensitivity of  the
unit.  You may need to shield the detector head to improve sensitivity of the
unit.  If you put the unit on the elevation below the platform overhead gamma
sources will have a greater influence on the bkg detector and suppress the DAC.
 If you put the unit on the grating above their head moving gamma sources will
have a greater influence on the bottom beta detector and cause on
over-response.  You want to be on the same elevation of interest, but need to
minimize gamma influence on the monitor.  Good monitor, but difficult
conditions.  I never had an in-line head, but I think you could have a tygon
tube nearer the work and the detector head in an area less impacted by varying
gamma levels.

Any time you apply an alternate mix and set points, you'd want to label them on
the monitor kinda like a limited use label so people in the field would know
this monitor had a diff response.  You'll want a clear process known by all to
ensure monitors are used properly.

I have found the AMS-4 to be very predictable over the years and I don't miss
carrying the old AMS-3 up the stairwell in containment.  The challenge is
making sure we understand the response characteristics and deploy it properly
to get the best results.  As you already know it takes a little thought before
the outage to figure out how to best deploy them.

Glen Vickers, CHP
Exelon Corp RP Technical Lead
815-216-2723 (work/cell)