On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 03:14:15AM +0200, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:

> Than no need to look at this, that one only unmounts volumes mounted by hal,
> so for your FAT/NTFS problem its useless :)

Yes. The FAT/NTFS case is also IMO no longer considered valid.

A longer explanation:

Once upon a time, when we were doing everything by ourselves in powersaved,
i decided that i had to unmount external drives before suspend, to make
the filesystem clean and make sure that there is no problem if the external
drive gets unplugged during suspend.
Unfortunately, deciding if a drive is external was not easy without HAL
(which, at that time, was not really providing this functionality and we
did not want to have HAL as a prerequisite).
So i decided to go for a "works in most cases, especially for non-expert
users" and just unmounted all FAT and NTFS filesystems before suspend.
Most non-experts will have a FAT or NTFS on their external disks.
A side effect was, that also internal FAT and NTFS fs were unmounted, which
was good, since some people wanted to suspend linux, boot windows, shutdown
windows and resume linux. You better unmount the windows FS before doing that
(you should not be doing it at all, but we could not prevent it).
Then we implemented the "select the kernel that resumes in grub so that it
boots without any delay and the user cannot boot windows in between"-feature
which makes unmounting the windows fs unneeded.
Yes, the user can disable this, but if he does, he rightfully deserves that
his FS gets corrupted (or he has to take care by himself. He changed that
GRUB-prepare thing, he also has to unmount the stuff).

The same prepare-grub stuff should also be in pm-utils (the upstream-version
of it is only working for fedora AFAICT, but i have ported the powersaved-
version of it to the suse-package of pm-utils, there is still discussion
on the pm-utils list on how to do this more generally).

So i'd say: unmount only external drives, but do not care about FAT/NTFS.

> > > And in the future is it possible to inform the list with changes needed
> > > outside the kpowersave?
> >
> > Yes, I do this normaly with a release note, but not for SVN Trunk.
>
> OK, no problem at all :)

In fact i did not think that anybody was following the fast-moving kpowersave
target yet, but it is always good to know that there are testers out there :-)

Have Fun,

    Stefan
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"