On Mon 21. Apr - 03:31:40, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while investigating, why pressing the sleep button on my laptop works with
> kpowersave (0.7.3) but not with powersave (0.15.20), I noticed, that the
> powersave code (acpi.cpp), reads directly from the acpi socket instead of
> relying on hal.
> In my case (hp nx7000), I don't get an "old-style" acpi hardware button
> event button/sleep, but a newer keyboard button event.
> Running dbus-monitor --system, this looks like:
>
> signal sender=:1.3 -> dest=(null destination)
> path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_KBD_port_logicaldev_input;
>
> interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device; member=Condition
>    string "ButtonPressed"
>    string "sleep"
>

> Imho, powersave should use the same approach as kpowersave
> (src/hardware.cpp), and listen for ButtonPressed events from hal, then
> match on the value of the message instead of reading from the acpi socket
> directly.
>
> Comments welcome.

This would definitely be the better approach, however, not the ideal
one. Also kpowersave (or any other desktop application) should get the
sleep buttons through usual X events. That's currently not possible due to
kernel driver and X infrastructure.

Currently I'm too busy with other things, so I won't be able to do
this. Patches welcome, like always ;-)

Regards,
        Holger