Well i am not sure what is the problem but I tried it as below and it
worked fine for me
start controller:

cd pox
sudo ./pox.py forwarding.l2_learning

it started controller. After that I created topology in another terminal
using command
sudo mn --topo single,4 --mac --controller remote

This command created topology with one switch and 4 hosts.
Then by command  "xterm s1" I open switch s1 in xterm. I checked entries
via command
ovs-ofctl dump-flows s1
There were no flows in switch.
Then I ping host h2 from h1 in terminal of Mininet
h1 ping -c10 h2
The ping was successful and when I checked switch there were flow entries.
When I shutdown controller and ping hosts, switch still was having flow
entries for about 10 to 15 seconds. The ping worked for that time  but
after that time ping stopped because flow entries were deleted
automatically.
If you want to confirm that you need to check flow entries within 10-15
seconds when you stop controller, you will get flow entries but after about
15 seconds ping will stop and there will be no flow entries in switch.

--
*Regards

Sayed Qaiser Ali Shah
MSIT-12