> It's fair enough not because of what a programming language
> *is* (or isn't) but what it can (or can't) *do*, and that
> is to exchange ordinary human thoughts with other people.

It is just one function of a programming language to compile and
execute it on a machine. Another function is that a programmer
communicates with other programmers and herself, two years later.
There are a hell lot of misunderstandings on what a program aims to
do, and that is an essential aspect of a language.

Just to be clear: I'm very much Wittgensteinian, and he consider
mathematics as a human language as well.

- Gergely

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).