From: Dan Stowell <dan.stow...@eecs.qmul.ac.uk>
To: PPIG Listserve <Ppig-discuss-list@open.ac.uk>
Cc: Thomas Green <green...@ntlworld.com>
Sent: Tue, March 8, 2011 3:40:35 AM
Subject: Visual and text languages

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the PP literature. Thomas's self-promotion led me to his
interesting 1996 paper on visual programming languages. "Overall, we believe
that in many respects VPLs offer substantial gains over conventional textual
languages, but at present their HCI aspects are still under-developed.
Improvements in secondary notation, in editing, and in searching will greatly
raise their overall usability."

As someone who does a lot of work in textual languages - in particular,
livecoding - I'd be interested to know what the state of the literature is on
VPLs, especially in comparison against text languages. I haven't been able to
find a recent survey, any recommendations?

(Also, as someone who has had RSI, I wonder about the accessibility of VPLs via
purely keyboard control...)

Best
Dan

On 01/03/2011 17:32, Thomas Green wrote:
> Er, a spot of self-promotion here ..... the various types of comparison
> I did in the past led to a framework which attempts to make some sense
> of the underlying trade-offs, the cognitive dimensions framework,
> developed by me and lots of other people. Stefano, if you simply want to
> know whether your new tool works, then you probably just need to do an
> experiment and stop; but if you want to know why it works (or doesn't),
> you might take a look at that framework. There's a resources page here:
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~afb21/CognitiveDimensions/
>
> CDs analysis is quite quick, though very vague. It's actually quite
> possible that it would reveal problems you've overlooked .....
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an
> exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland
> (SC 038302).

-- Dan Stowell
Postdoctoral Research Assistant
Centre for Digital Music