On 10 March 2011 17:06, John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, there is.  Jon Barwise and John Etchemandy's seminal paper Visual
> information and valid reasoning is the best place for you to start.

I found a PDF of this, it's interesting but seems to only be about
representing discrete relationships in 2D spaces, which I think is
something that text does rather well by design.  Much is made of
things such as 2D Euler diagrams, but for many things 1D Euler
diagrams, i.e. parentheses seem to work perfectly well.

I'm more interested in the use of VL to include analog spatial
relationships, such as conceptual spaces where proximity = similarity,
and ways of integrating those with computation.  Does anyone know of
the use of distance measurements in programming notation?

For a broad review of visual language research I recommend Alan's
paper "Metacognitive Theories of Visual Programming: What do we think
we are doing?", old but I find it very interesting:
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~afb21/publications/VL96.html

Cheers

alex

--
http://yaxu.org/

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).