Tell me if I am understanding you correctly -- you are asking about
technology that keeps people conscious of the fact that they are using
technology, and what it means to do so? Specifically, you want programmers
to maintain some sort of awareness that they are programming, and what the
implications and opportunity costs of the program that they are writing may
be, in a broad societal sense? The purpose being to encourage programmers to
work for humanitarian reasons, rather than simply to make money?

If so, that's certainly an interesting thought. I have never heard of any
technological mechanism designed with that aim. Certainly there are
subcultures of programmers, particularly those who work in the privacy and
security domains, who work  to build tools that may improve some aspect of
society. And in some sense, the open source movement can be thought of in
this way. Could you elaborate on what kinds of things you had in mind?

Cyrus