Raoul,

Thanks for the feedback.

The Subtle Stones (the tangible devices) were developed by Madeline Balaam as
part of her PhD research, and were originally designed to be used by secondary
school students in language learning classes.  She went through a careful
process of learner-centred design before arriving at the final prototype: more
details can be found in her thesis:

http://prism.talis.com/sussex-ac/items/1021682

When designing the desktop application, we incorporated features that arose
from the empirical work carried out with the Subtle Stones (e.g. ability to
record more than one emotion simultaneously, report on degrees of emotion,
etc.) into the design.  However, I would be the first to admit that the
application would have benefited from more development time and a more thorough
round of user testing.

We are now using a variation of the Subtle Stones in a study with families who
have children with Autism Spectrum Conditions, given the multiple difficulties
the children often experience with respect to emotion (e.g. recognising
emotions in themselves and others, acting on emotions in appropriate ways,
etc.).  Although the devices worked well in the classroom, they are presenting
some problems "in the wild", e.g. batteries run out quickly, are a pain for
family members to change and, as one child said, "They look like they should
bounce, but they don't." ;-)

Although I feel that the idea behind the devices is well worth exploring, the
actual format of the devices is still completely open, so thank you for your
thoughts on improving them!

Judith