Did Goethe Embrace Islam?
Lexington Area Muslim Network [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 22:08:03 -0500
[ author ]
COMMENTARY:
Is democracy really the `natural' political system of
Europeans?
http://www.ummah.net/sos/vasco.htm
Goethe Embraced Islam?

by Shaykh 'Abdalqadir Al-Murabit
Source:
http://www.geocities.com/~itmr/convert_goethe.htm

German poet, novelist, playwright and natural
philosopher, one of the greatest figures in Western
literature after whom countless institutes and
associations have been named all over Europe and North
America, namely Goethe Institute. All evidence have
been taken from his own works and his letters to
friends.

As a young man Goethe wanted to study oriental studies
- but his father finally wanted him to study law; he
always admired the first travellers to Arabia
(Michaelis, Niebuhr), he was fascinated by it and read
everything they published about their trips. In
1814/15 at the time of his "Divan" Goethe trained
himself with the professors for oriental studies
Paulus, Lorsbach and Kosegarten (Jena) in reading and
writing Arabic. After looking at his Arabic
manuscripts and having known about the Qur'an, Goethe
felt a great yearning to learn Arabic. He copied short
Arabic Du'as by himself and wrote:

"In no other language spirit, word and letter are
embodied in such a primal way" (Letter to Schlosser,
23.1.1815, WA IV, 25, 165)

At the age of 70 Goethe writes (Notes and Essays to
the Divan, WA I, 17, 153) that he intends:

"to celebrate respectfully that night when the Prophet
was given the Koran completely from above"

He also wrote:

"No one may wonder about the great efficiency of the
Book. That is why it has been declared as uncreated by
real admirers"

and added to it:

"This book will eternally remain highly
efficacious/effective" (WA I, 7, 35/36)

Still today we have the handwritten manuscripts of his
first intensive Qur'an-studies of 1771/1772 and the
later ones in the Goethe and Schiller-Archive in
Weimar. Goethe read the German translation of Qur'an
by J. v. Hammer (possibly as well from the more
prosaic English translation of G. Sale) out loud in
front of members of the Duke's family in Weimar and
their guests. Being witnesses Schiller and his wife
reported about the reading. (Schiller's letter to
Knebel, 22.2.1815) Goethe always felt the shortcomings
of all the translations (Latin, English, German and
French) and was constantly looking for new
translations. In his "Divan" Goethe says:

     "Whether the Koran is of eternity?
     I don't question that!...
     That it is the book of books
     I believe out of the muslim's duty."

     "Ob der Koran von Ewigkeit sei?
     Darnach frag' ich nicht ! ...
     Da_ er das Buch der B|cher sei
     Glaub' ich aus Mosleminen-Pflicht"
     (WA I, 6, 203)

He studied Arabic handbooks, grammars, travel-books,
poetry, anthologies, books on the sira of the Prophet
Muhammad - may Allah bless him and give him peace! -
and had a widespread exchange with oriental scholars
about these matters. Goethe liked the German
translation of Hafis' "Diwan" by Hammer (May 1814) and
studied the different translations of Qur'an of his
time. All of this inspired him to write his own "West-
stlicher Divan" and of course many poems of the
"Divan" are clearly inspired by and relate to
different Ayats of Qur'an (see Mommsen, p. 269-274).

Goethe bought original Arabic manuscripts of Rumi,
Dschami, Hafis, Saadi, Attar, Qur'an-Tafsir, Du'as, an
Arabic-Turkish dictionary, texts on matters like the
freeing of slaves, buying and selling, interest, usury
and Arabian scripts from Sultan Selim.

Goethe considered it not to be a mere accident but
rather as meaningful incidents, in fact as part of his
decree and signs of Allah, when in Autumn 1813 he was
brought an old Arabic handwritten manuscript from
Spain by a German soldier coming from Spain which
contained the last Surat An-Nas (114). Later Goethe
tried to copy it himself with the help of the
professors in Jena who had helped him in finding out
the manuscript's content in January 1814 he visited a
prayer of Bashkir Muslims from the Russian army of Zar
Alexander in the protestant gymnasium of Weimar.

See the letter to Trebra, 5.1.1814 (WA IV, 24, 91)
where he says:

"Speaking of prophecies, I have to tell you that there
are things happening these days, which they would not
have allowed a prophet to say. Who would have been
allowed some years ago to say that there would be held
a mahommedan divine service and the Suras of Koran
would be murmured in the auditorium of our protestant
gymnasium and yet it happened and we attended the
Bashkir service, saw their Mulla and welcomed their
Prince in the theatre. Out of special favour I was
presented with a bow and arrows which for eternal
memory I will hang above my chimney as soon as God has
decreed a lucky return for them."

In a letter to his son August from the 17.1.1814 (WA
IV, 24, 110) he adds:

"Several religious ladies of us have asked for the
translation of the Coran from the library."

Goethe's positive attitude towards Islam goes far
beyond anyone in Germany before: He published on
24.2.1816:

"The poet [Goethe]... does not refuse the suspicion
that he himself is a Muslim." (WA I, 41, 86)

In another poem of the "Divan" Goethe says:

     "Stupid that everyone in his case
     Is praising his particular opinion!
     If Islam means submission to God,
     We all live and die in Islam."

     "Ndrrisch, da_ jeder in seinem Falle
     Seine besondere Meinung preist!
     Wenn Islam Gott ergeben hei_t,
     In Islam leben und sterben wir alle."
     (WA I, 6, 128)

Apart from Goethe's - the poet's - fascination for the
language of Qur'an, its beauty and sublimeness, he was
mostly attracted by its religious and philosophical
meaning: the unity of God, the conviction that God
manifests in nature/creation is one of the major
themes in Goethe's work. During his first intensive
Qur'an-studies Goethe copied and partly put right the
text of the first direct translation of the Qur'an
from Arabic into German in 1771/1772.

Goethe wrote down different Ayats of Qur'an which
teach man how he should see nature in all its
phenomena as signs of divine laws. The multiplicity of
the phenomena indicates the One God. The relation
towards nature as the Qur'an presents it connected
with the teaching of the kindness and oneness of God -
as Goethe writes it down from the Ayats of Sura No. 2
- became the main pillars on which Goethe's sympathy
and affinity towards Islam was based. Goethe said we
should realize:

          "God's greatness in the small" - "Gottes Gr
'e im Kleinen"

and refers to the Ayat of Surat Al-Baqara, vers 25
where the metaphor of the fly is given.

Goethe was very impressed about the fact that Allah
speaks to mankind by prophets and thus he confirmed
the prophet Muhammad - may Allah bless him and give
him peace!: In 1819 Goethe writes (referring to Sura
"Ibrahim", Ayat 4):

"It is true, what God says in the Qur'an: We did not
send a prophet to a people but in their language."
(Letter to A.O. Blumenthal, 28.5.1819, WA IV, 31, 160)

Referring to the same Ayat Goethe repeats in a letter
to Carlyle:

"The Koran says: God has given each people a prophet
in its own language." (20.7.1827, WA IV, 42, 270)

It appears again in 1827 in an essay of Goethe in:
German Romance. Vol. IV. Edinburgh 1827 (WA I, 41,
307)

Goethe affirmed the rejection of the unbelievers'
challenge to the prophet Muhammad - may Allah bless
him and give him peace! - to show them miracles where
he says:

"Wonders I can not do said the Prophet, / The greatest
miracle is that I am." (Paralipomenon III, 14 of the
Divan, WA I, 6, 476)

In "Mahomet" Goethe wrote the famous song of praise
"Mahomets Gesang". The meaning of the prophet is put
into the metaphor of the stream, starting from the
smallest beginning and growing to be an immense
spiritual power, expanding, unfolding, and gloriously
ending in the ocean, the symbol for divinity. He
especially describes the religious genius in carrying
the other people with him like the stream does with
small brooks and rivers. On a handwritten manuscript
of the Paralipomena III, 31 of the "Divan" Goethe