http://www.saudielection.com/en/article_body.php?id=112&PHPSESSID=424314b3ece70081e7a50d8c05d7b7b7

Women in Saudi Arabia Too Have a Dream

I am a Saudi citizen, I am over 21, I am educated; I am positively
contributing to society by educating hundreds of university-level Saudis
every year, and I am patriotic. Yet, I am not eligible to vote in my
country.

It is not because I have a criminal record or because I participated in any
anti-government organizations - because I have committed neither. And, even
if I had, I recently read that prisoners will be allowed to vote. Nor is it
because I am handicapped and cannot go to cast my vote because officials
have kindly removed that obstacle by enabling handicapped Saudis to vote
through an agent. As you can see, my country is doing its best to encompass
as many Saudis in the new elections as possible; but they just cannot
include me. My crime is too unforgivable. My handicap is beyond help. I am a
woman.

When I first heard about the elections, I was elated beyond words. My
country was taking the first steps toward bridging the gap between the
government and the people. I held my breath as several brave Saudi women
nominated themselves for the elections. Deep down, I knew it would be too
much to hope for at this point in time - so I was not shocked when it was
announced that women will not be allowed to nominate themselves in the first
elections. I was, however, both shocked and hurt to find out that women also
will be excluded from voting. So hurt that I made a point of refraining from
writing about it. "Fine," I stubbornly thought, "if they do not want our
contribution, it is their loss."

But today I find myself awake at 4 a.m., writing this. Why? Because it is
not their loss; it is our loss - all of us - the whole nation's. Reading
about the inclusion of prisoners and handicapped citizens shocked me into
that reality. If officials are taking measures to include as many Saudis as
possible in the elections, then why not women? Is it logical to boast about
including 5,000 prisoners and ignore the fact that millions, constituting
more than half of the population, are being marginalized?

We cannot and must not function with half our population. That has been our
gravest mistake thus far, and we are obviously not learning from our
mistakes. Usually, the reasons given for marginalization of women in Saudi
Arabia are either religious or social, but neither pertain here. As far as
religion is concerned, I do not think anyone with any knowledge of Islamic
history can deny that Islamic society was perhaps the first culture to
include women in the "voting" process. More than 1,400 years ago, two women
were among the first few people who approached the Prophet (peace be upon
him) to pledge their allegiance. This was known as the First Bayah. The
Prophet did not turn these women away, nor did he turn away the many other
women who came side by side with their male counterparts during the Second
Bayah years later in Makkah.

And as for social reasons, well the elections are new to all of us. This is
a chance to write on a clean slate for a change. The extensive media
coverage of the elections can highlight the importance of getting all
members of society to contribute. Reading the slogans on the billboards
recently posted on many streets in Riyadh, I could not help but see the
irony behind every line. "Your voice will not be heard unless you register";
"Participate in making decisions." The irony lays in the following paradox:
On the one hand, you have a slogan that is obviously phrased to convince as
many people as possible to participate, and on the other you have a rule
that excludes more than half the population.

Some have suggested that women cannot participate for reasons of
practicality - mainly two:

1. Most Saudi women do not have ID cards: Then let those who have them
start. Encourage those who do not have ID cards to get them immediately.
Remove the obstacles in the way of getting one (like permission from a legal
guardian). Better yet, make them obligatory. Isn't that the way it should
be?

2. There aren't any female facilities to help in the registration and voting
process: Then recruit and train the thousands of unemployed women in the
country, and kill two birds with one stone. It is not impossible, and it has
been done before. Weren't thousands of men recruited during the Saudi
Census? Saudi women are no less talented or hard working. All it takes is a
little initiative.

Finally, I would like to say that while my voice has been muted, I am still
here. I may not be able to vote today, but I will continue the struggle to
be heard simply because, in the words of Martin Luther King, "I have a
dream."

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Forum IT PPI-India: http://www.ppiindia.shyper.com/itforum/