The Australian

Paul Stenhouse: Tsunamis are not the wrath of God

January 04, 2005
THE world is still reeling from the tsunami in the Indian Ocean that caused
such loss of life and devastation on Boxing Day.

Numbness, disbelief and outrage at our powerlessness, our inability to warn
the victims, or to save them, is a common reaction. As is, at times, a
desire to blame someone, usually God; or at least to question his wisdom and
knowledge in permitting such tragedies to occur, and to seek an explanation
for what has happened.

Grief at the extent of the devastation caused by the earthquake and its
tsunami, and the desire to come to grips with it in human terms have been
overshadowed by comments by Sydney's Anglican dean, Phillip Jensen, who
reportedly said that "disasters are part of his warning that judgment is
coming", and the chief executive of the Australian Federation of Islamic
Councils, Amjad Mehboob, who reportedly said that it could not have happened
unless it was God's will.

Sydney's Catholic dean, Neil Brown, differed from this view, as did Rabbi
Apple of the Great Synagogue and the president of the Hindu Council of
Australia, Appupillay Bala.
Christianity does not teach that God causes natural disasters; nor does it
teach that God causes them in order to punish the wickedness of the victims.
If Jensen meant this, he would be seriously at odds with Christian
tradition.

 The earthquake and tsunami do, nevertheless, raise important questions that
deserve answers, as the Archbishop of Canterbury is reported as saying.

As someone who has seen more than his fair share of human suffering around
the world, I can sympathise with the halting attempts people make to
articulate their feelings at a moment like this: when we stand appalled and
seemingly helpless before inexorable destruction and death.
Yet, for all its horror, the suffering caused by natural disasters is not
comparable to the suffering that human beings inflict on one another.

Like many others I was shocked at the photo printed in British journals some
years back of a 16-year-old boy from an unnamed country whose eyes had been
burned out of his head with cigars and whose tongue had been ripped out with
pliers. Amnesty International was much criticised for the advertisement, but
it told the truth. The police had done nothing about the atrocity because
they knew who did it. And apparently approved. Questions needed to be asked,
and answers found.

The untold millions who died in the 20th century in wars deserve to have
their deaths and their suffering taken seriously; and for the lessons to be
learned.

Woolly one-liners that implied that God was indifferent to human suffering
were given eager media attention in the wake of the 1998 Sydney to Hobart
tragedy ["Where was God when the yachts were sinking?"] but, for all their
facile topicality, they are smokescreens that lead to an ever deeper
introversion and narrowness of mind. In shutting a transcendent God
completely out of the picture, such pundits consign the human spirit to a
hopelessness from which there is no escape.

The problem of suffering and evil is as old as mankind. Christians believe
that God is all-loving and that his compassion and love reach out to all,
especially to the most helpless and abandoned. As Isaiah the Hebrew prophet
reminds us, God's ways are not our ways; nor are his thoughts our thoughts.
This is not a cop-out, but an admission that confronted by suffering we are
in the realm of mystery.

THE French existentialist philosopher Gabriel Marcel noted that the
mysteries of suffering and evil are often used as arguments against the
existence of a loving God. However, more people, he says, are turned towards
God by suffering than away from him.

He also comments for the benefit of those of us who live in the so-called
First World, that if there is one single conclusion forced on us by the
history of mankind, it is that the growth of faith in God is not hindered by
misfortune and suffering, but by satisfaction.

Pope John Paul II comforted the victims of the tsunami by assuring them that
God had not abandoned them and added: "I am close to you all with my love
and prayers, especially to the injured and the homeless, while I entrust to
the divine mercy of God the countless number of people who lost their
lives."

As I write this, world leaders are pledging almost $3 billion in aid for the
survivors of the devastation caused by the tsunami; countries and regions
are setting aside their differences and co-operating for the good of those
who are suffering; the UN Secretary-General assures us that the UN is in
there "for the long term".

Am I deceiving myself when I see the hand of God in this long overdue
rapprochement?

Paul Stenhouse is a Catholic priest and journalist who edits the Catholic
journal Annals Australasia.

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Forum IT PPI-India: http://www.ppiindia.shyper.com/itforum/