Friday, January 07, 2005

India catching up with US: Top biz lobby

PRESS TRUST OF INDIA

Washington, January 6  Asian economies like India and
China are posing an unprecedented challenge to US
competitiveness, a top American business lobby has
warned, seeking firm government steps to secure the
nation's leadership.

The US Chamber of Commerce, representing three million
firms, said although the United States was strong and
outperforming virtually all of the major economies in
the world, it has failed to address this challenge.

"We have a good economy today - the kind of economy
that much of the rest of the world only dream about,"
the Chamber's President, Thomas Donohue, said at a
news conference on Wednesday outlining the group's
priority issues for 2005.

"Yet, we must also recognise that our competitive
position is being challenged as never before," he
said. "The rapidly developing economies of China,
India and East Asia are becoming major players in
cutting edge industries."

They are catching up with the United States,
particularly in technology, business services and
high-end manufacturing, he said.

Aside from Asia, Donohue said, the US needed to be
wary of the European Union, which was consolidating
and enlarging its economic power while aggressively
expanding its regulatory impact in areas from
anti-trust policy to food production to climatic
change.

"In many respects, our nation has failed to answer
this growing competition," he said.

Donohue said Asian economies were stepping up economic
growth, beefing up technology, boosting training
programmes and improving education quality.

'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;