STI

Jan 9, 2005
Family of four spent New Year's Eve sorting out relief
donations

IT WAS 9pm on New Year's Eve. While most people were
at parties getting ready to usher in the new year, the
Tehs - Thien Yew, 49, Lai Yip, 47, Ernest, 16, and
Erwin, 12 - were at a disused school at Lowland Road,
waiting in the dark for a lorryload of donations for
aid agency Mercy Relief to arrive.

Earlier that day, Mrs Teh, deputy director for
conservation and development services at the Urban
Redevelopment Authority, had been looking for space to
store the goods. After many phone calls, she hit pay
dirt with the Singapore Land Authority, which offered
the grounds that had been vacated by Serangoon
Secondary School in October.

The school is now a bustling centre of activity, with
volunteers sorting and packing donated items such as
medical supplies, old clothes and bottled water.

Mrs Teh has been dropping by the centre after work.

'I come down to see who I need to chase to get
something done,' she said with a laugh.

'But Thien Yew is the one who checks out all the
centres, sees what needs to be moved and arranges
transport.'

Mr Teh, a businessman, has been helping out at Mercy
Relief since last month. From morning to night, he
traverses the island, ensuring that the donation
centres are running smoothly, and buying supplies like
tape. He got involved when a friend volunteering with
the aid agency asked him to transport some donation
tins.

'When I got to the office, the whole place was abuzz,'
he said.

'Everybody was trying to do everything. So I wanted to
try to chip in and organise things.'

Erwin, a Secondary One student at Tanjong Katong
Secondary, said of his father: 'When people turn to
him, he can't say no. He's a very helpful person. I'm
proud of him.'For more information, call 6332-6320 or
visit www.mercyrelief.org

Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4F6XtA/_WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Forum IT PPI-India: http://www.ppiindia.shyper.com/itforum/