Bravo, Theo Sambuaga, Ketua Komisi I DPR.

Salam,
RM

--------------------------------

(The Jakarta Post, Jan 08, 2005)
Public urged not to fear foreign soldiers' presence

JAKARTA (Agencies): A lawmaker urged Indonesians on
Saturday not to be suspicious of the motives of the
foreign militaries aiding victims of the massive
tsunami that hit Sumatra island.

"We need their assistance," said Theo Sambuaga,
chairman of the House of Representatives defense and
information committee, as quoted by the Antara news
agency.

"The (Indonesian) government has coordinated their
presence since the first day. I am sure they come not
for war but a humanitarian operation."

He said Indonesians should be grateful for the foreign
warships off the coast of shattered Aceh province
because their own military did not have the capability
to help all those in need without the outsiders.

American vessels including an aircraft carrier are
among those along the coast. Ship-based U.S. Navy and
Marine helicopter crews have flown scores of missions
to coastal villages, delivering food and water and
evacuating injured survivors. Australia, whose ties
with Indonesia have sometimes been tense, has also
senttroops to help.

Anger at the United States has run high in
predominantly Muslim Indonesia since the Iraq war.

The idea of American troops in Indonesia would have
been unthinkable before the Dec. 26 disaster, which
killed more than 100,000 people in Aceh, but
Indonesians have expressed thanks for their presence,
according to the Associated Press.

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc