TechnologyReview.com

Do You Want to Live Forever?
By Sherwin Nuland Febuary 2005

Wandering through the quadrangles and medieval
bastions of learning at the University of Cambridge
one overcast Sunday afternoon a few months ago, I
found myself ruminating on how this venerable place
had been a crucible for the scientific revolution that
changed humankind’s perceptions of itself and of the
world. The notion of Cambridge as a source of grand
transformative concepts was very much on my mind that
day, because I had traveled to England to meet a
contemporary Cantabrigian who aspires to a historical
role similar to those enjoyed by Francis Bacon, Isaac
Newton, and William Harvey. Aubrey David Nicholas
Jasper de Grey is convinced that he has formulated the
theoretical means by which human beings might live
thousands of years—indefinitely, in fact.

Perhaps theoretical is too small a word. De Grey has
mapped out his proposed course in such detail that he
believes it may be possible for his objective to be
achieved within as short a period as 25 years, in time
for many readers of Technology Review to avail
themselves of its formulations—and, not incidentally,
in time for his 41-year-old self as well. Like Bacon,
de Grey has never stationed himself at a laboratory
bench to attempt a ­single hands-on experiment, at
least not in human biology. He is without
qualifications for that, and makes no pretensions to
being anything other than what he is, a computer
scientist who has taught himself natural science.
Aubrey de Grey is a man of ideas, and he has set
himself toward the goal of transforming the basis of
what it means to be human.

For reasons that his memory cannot now retrieve, de
Grey has been convinced since childhood that aging is,
in his words, “something we need to fix.” Having
become interested in biology after marrying a
geneticist in 1991, he began poring over texts, and
autodidacted until he had mastered the subject. The
more he learned, the more he became convinced that the
postponement of death was a problem that could very
well have real solutions and that he might be just the
person to find them. As he reviewed the possible
reasons why so little progress had been made in spite
of the remarkable molecular and cellular discoveries
of recent decades, he came to the conclusion that the
problem might be far less difficult to solve than some
thought; it seemed to him related to a factor too
often brushed under the table when the motivations of
scientists are discussed, namely the small likelihood
of achieving promising results within the ­period
required for academic advancement—careerism, in a
word. As he puts it, “High-risk fields are not the
most conducive to getting promoted quickly.”

De Grey began reading the relevant literature in late
1995 and after only a few months had learned so much
that he was able to explain previously unidentified
­influences affecting mutations in mitochondria, the
intracellular structures that release energy from
certain chemical processes necessary to cell function.
Having contacted an expert in this area of research
who told him that he had indeed made a new discovery,
he published his first biological research paper in
1997, in the peer-reviewed journal BioEssays (“A
Proposed Refinement of the Mitochondrial Free Radical
Theory of Aging,” de Grey, ADNJ, BioEssays
19(2)161–166, 1997). By July 2000, further assiduous
application had brought him to what some have called
his “eureka moment,” the insight he speaks of as his
realization that “aging could be ­described as a
reasonably small set of accumulating and eventually
pathogenic molecular and cellular changes in our
bodies, each of which is potentially amenable to
repair.” This concept became the theme of all the
theoretical investigation he would do from that moment
on; it became the leitmotif of his life. He determined
to approach longevity as what can only be called a
problem in engineering. If it is possible to know all
the components of the variety of processes that cause
animal tissues to age, he reasoned, it might also be
possible to design remedies for each of them.

All along the way, de Grey would be continually
surprised at the relative ease with which the
necessary knowledge could be mastered—or at least, the
ease with which he himself could master it. Here I
must issue a caveat, a variant of those seen in
television commercials featuring daredevilish stunts:
“Do not attempt this on your own. It is extremely
hazardous and requires special abilities.” For if you
can take a single impression away from spending even a
modicum of time with Aubrey de Grey, it is that he is
the possessor of special abilities.

As he surveyed the literature, de Grey reached the
conclusion that there are seven distinct ingredients
in the aging process, and that emerging understanding
of molecular biology shows promise of one day
providing appropriate technologies by which each of
them might be manipulated—“perturbed,” in the jargon
of biologists. He bases his certainty that there are
only seven such factors on the fact that no new factor
has been discovered in some twenty years, despite the
flourishing state of research in the field known as
biogeron­tology, the science of aging; his certainty
that he is the man to lead the crusade for endless
life is based on his conception that the qualification
needed to accomplish it is the mindset he brings to
the problem: the goal-driven orientation of an
engineer rather than the curiosity-driven orientation
of the basic scientists who have made and will
continue to make the laboratory discoveries that he
intends to employ. He sees himself as the applied
scientist who will bring the benisons of molecular
bi­ology to practical use. In the analogous
terminology often used by historians of medicine, he
is the clinician who will bring the laboratory to the
bedside.

And so, in order to achieve his goal of transforming
our society, de Grey has transformed himself. His “day
job,” as he calls it, is relatively modest; he is the
computer support for a genetics research team, and his
entire official working space occupies a corner of its
small lab. And yet he has achieved international
renown and more than a little notoriety in the field
of aging, not only for the boldness of his theo­ries,
but also because of the forcefulness of his
proselytizing on their behalf. His stature has become
such that he is a factor to be dealt with in any
serious discussion of the topic. De Grey has
documented his contributions in the scientific
literature, publishing scores of articles in an
impressive array of journals, including those of the
quality of Trends in Biotechnology and Annals of the
New York Academy of Sciences, as well as contributing
commentary and letters to other publications like
Science and Biogerontology.

De Grey has been indefatigable as a missionary in his
own cause, joining the appropriate professional
societies and evangelizing in every medium available
to him, including sponsoring his own international
symposium. Though he and his ideas may be sui generis,
he is hardly an isolated monkish figure content to
harangue the heavens and desert winds with his lonely
philosophy. In addition to everything else, he has a
remarkable talent for organization and even for his
own unique brand of fellowship. The sheer output of
his pen and tongue is staggering, and every line of
that bumper crop, whether intended for the most
scientifically sophisticated or for the general
reader, is delivered in the same linear, lucid,
point-by-point style that characterizes all his
writings on life prolongation. Like a skilled debater,
he replies to arguments before they arise and hammers
at his opposition with a forceful rhetoric that has
just enough dismissiveness—and sometimes even
castigation—to betray his impatience with stragglers
in the march toward extreme longevity.

De Grey is a familiar figure at meetings of scientific
societies, where he has earned the respect of many
gerontologists and that new variety of theoreticians
known as “futurists.” Not only has his work put him at
the forefront of a field that might best be called
theoretical biogerontology, but he swims close enough
to the mainstream that some of its foremost
researchers have agreed to add their names to his
papers and letters as coauthors, although they may not
agree with the full range of his thinking. Among the
most prominent are such highly regarded figures as
Bruce Ames of the University of California and the
University of Chicago’s Leonid Gavrilov and S. Jay
Olshansky. Their attitude toward de Grey is perhaps
best expressed by Olshansky, who is a senior research
scientist in epidemiology and biostatistics: “I’m a
big fan of Aubrey; I love debating him. We need him.
He challenges us and makes us expand our way of
thinking. I disagree with his conclusions, but in
science that’s okay. That’s what advances the field.”
De Grey has by his vigorous efforts brought together a
cohort of responsible scientists who see just enough
theoretical value in his work to justify not only
their engagement but also their cautious
encouragement. As Gregory Stock, a futurist of
biologic technology currently at UCLA, pointed out to
me, de Grey’s proposals create scientific and public
interest in every aspect of the biology of aging.
Stock, too, has lent his name to several of de Grey’s
papers.

De Grey enjoys increasing fame as well. He is often
called upon when journalists need a quote on antiaging
science, and he has been the subject of profiles in
publications as varied as Fortune, Popular Science,
and London’s Daily Mail. His tireless efforts at
thrusting himself and his theories into the vanguard
of a movement in pursuit of a goal of eternal
fascination to the human mind have put him among the
most prominent proponents of antiaging science in the
world. His timing is perfect. As the baby
boomers—perhaps the most determinedly self-improving
(and self-absorbed) generation in history—are now
approaching or have reached their early 60s, there is
a plenitude of eager seekers after the death-defiant
panaceas he promises. De Grey has become more than a
man; he is a movement.

I should declare here that I have no desire to live
beyond the life span that nature has granted to our
species. For reasons that are pragmatic, scientific,
demographic, economic, political, social, emotional,
and secularly spiritual, I am committed to the notion
that both individual fulfillment and the ecological
balance of life on this planet are best served by
dying when our inherent biology decrees that we do. I
am equally committed to making that age as close to
our biologically probable maximum of approximately 120
years as modern biomedicine can achieve, and also to
efforts at decreasing and compressing the years of
morbidity and disabilities now attendant on extreme
old age. But I cannot imagine that the consequences of
doing a single thing beyond these efforts will be
anything but baleful, not only for each of us as an
individual, but for every other living creature in our
world. Another action I cannot imagine is enrolling
myself—as de Grey has—with Alcor, the cryonics company
that will, for a price, preserve a customer’s brain or
more until that hoped-for day when it can be brought
back to some form of life.

With this worldview, is it any wonder that I would be
intrigued by an Aubrey de Grey? What would it be like
to come face to face with such a man? Not to debate
him—a task for which, as a clinical surgeon, I would
in any case be scientifically unqualified—but just to
sound him out, to see how he behaves in an ordinary
situation, to speak of my concerns and his
are outlandish. To him, mine would seem equally so.

With all of this in mind, I contacted de Grey via
e-mail this past fall, and received a response that
was both gracious and welcoming. Addressing me by
first name, he not only had no hesitation in offering
to give up the better part of two days to speak with
me, but moreover suggested that we spend them close to
the lubricating effects of invigorating fluids, as
follows:

I hope you like a good English beer, as that is one of
the main (open) secrets of my boundless energy as well
as a good part of my intellectual creativity (or so I
like to think...). A good plan (by which I mean a plan
that has been well tested over the years!) is to meet
at 11:00 a.m. Monday 18th in the Eagle, the most
famous pub in Cambridge for a variety of reasons which
I can point out to you. From there we may (weather
permitting) be able to go punting on the Cam, an
activity with which I fell in love at first sight on
arriving here in 1982 and which all visitors seem to
find unforgettable. We will be able to talk for as
long as you like, and if there is reason to meet again
on the Tuesday I can arrange that too.
The message would prove to be characteristic,
including its hint of immodesty. And in a similar
vintage was his response when I expressed hesitation
about punting, based on friends’ tales of falling into
the Cam on a chilly autumnal day: “Evidently, your
friends did it without expert guidance.” As I learned,
de Grey is not a man who allows himself to be less
than expert at anything to which he decides to devote
those prodigious energies so enthusiastically
trumpeted in the e-mail, nor does he allow himself to
hide his expertness under a bushel.

Of course, to conceive of oneself as the herald and
instrument of the transformation of death and aging
requires a supreme self-confidence, and de Grey is the
most unabashedly self-confident of men. Soon after we
met, this unexampled man told me that “One must have a
somewhat inflated opinion of oneself” if success is to
crown such great endeavors. “I have that!” he added
emphatically. By the time he and I had said our
good-byes after a total of 10 hours together over a
period of two days, I was certain many would accept
his self-estimate. Whether one chooses to believe that
he is a brilliant and prophetic architect of
futuristic biology or merely a misguided and nutty
theorist, there can be no doubt about the astonishing
magnitude of his intellect.

De Grey calls his program Strategies for Engineered
Negligible Senescence, which permits him to say that
it makes SENS to embark upon it. Here, in no
particular order, follow his seven horsemen of death
and the formulations for the breaking of each animal
and its rider. (Those seeking more detailed
information might wish to consult de Grey’s website:
www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/index.html.)

1. Loss and atrophy or degeneration of cells. This
element of aging is particularly important in tissues
where cells cannot replace themselves as they die,
such as the heart and brain. De Grey would treat it
primarily by the introduction of growth factors to
stimulate cell division or by periodic transfusion of
stem cells specifically engineered to replace the
types that have been lost.

2. Accumulation of cells that are not wanted. These
are (a) fat cells, which tend to proliferate and not
only replace muscle but also lead to diabetes by
diminishing the body’s ability to respond to the
pancreatic hormone insulin, and (b) cells that have
become senescent, which accumulate in the cartilage of
our joints. Receptors on the surface of such cells are
susceptible to immune bodies that de Grey believes
scientists will in time learn how to generate, or to
other compounds that may make the cells destroy
themselves without affecting others that do not have
those distinctive receptors.

3. Mutations in chromosomes. The most damaging
consequence of cell mutation is the development of
cancer. The immortality of cancer cells is related to
the behavior of the telomere, the caplike structure
found on the end of every chromosome, which decreases
in length each time the cell divides and therefore
seems to be involved with the cell’s mortality. If we
could eliminate the gene that makes telomerase—the
enzyme that maintains and lengthens telomeres—the
cancer cell would die. De Grey’s solution for this
problem is to replace a person’s stem cells every 10
or so years with ones engineered not to carry that
gene.

4. Mutations in mitochondria. Mitochondria are the
micromachines that produce energy for the cell’s
activities. They contain small amounts of DNA, which
are particularly susceptible to mutations since they
are not housed in the chromosomes of the nucleus. De
Grey proposes copying the genes (of which there are
13) from the mitochondrial DNA and then putting those
copies into the DNA of the nucleus, where they will be
far safer from mutation-causing influences.

5. The accumulation of “junk” within the cell. The
junk in question is a collection of complex material
that results from the cell’s breakdown of large
molecules.  Intracellular structures called lysosomes
are the primary microchambers for such breakdown; the
junk tends to collect in them, causing problems in the
function of certain types of cells. Atherosclerosis,
hardening of the arteries, is the biggest
manifestation of these complications. To solve this
difficulty, de Grey proposes to provide the lysosomes
with genes to produce the extra enzymes required to
digest the unwelcome material. The source of these
genes will be certain soil bacteria, an innovation
based on the observation that ground that contains
buried animal flesh does not show accumulation of
degraded junk.

6. The accumulation of “junk” outside the cell. The
fluid in which all cells are bathed—called
extracellular fluid—may come to contain aggregates of
protein material that it is incapable of breaking
down. The result is the formation of a substance
called amyloid, which is the material found in the
brains of people with Alz­heimer’s disease. To counter
this, de Grey proposes vaccination with an as-yet
undeveloped substance that might stimulate the immune
system to produce cells to engulf and eat the
offending material.

7. Cross-links in proteins outside the cell. The
extracellular fluid contains many flexible protein
molecules that exist unchanged for long periods of
time, whose function is to give certain tissues such
qualities as elasticity, transparence, or high tensile
strength. Over a lifetime, occasional chemical
reactions gradually affect these molecules in ways
that change their physical and/or chemical qualities.
Among these changes is the development of chemical
bonds called cross-links between molecules that had
previously moved independently of one another. The
result is a loss of elasticity or a thickening of the
involved tissue. If the tissue is the wall of an
artery, for example, the loss of distensibility may
lead to high blood pressure. De Grey’s solution to
this problem is to attempt to identify chemicals or
enzymes capable of breaking cross-links without
injuring anything else.

It must be obvious that, even condensed and simplified
as they are here, these seven factors are enormously
complex biological problems with even more complex
proposed solutions. At least some of those solutions
may prove inadequate, and others may be impossible to
implement. Moreover, de Grey’s descriptions are
sprinkled with such vague phrases as “growth factors”
and “stimulate the immune system,” which might prove
to be little more than slogans, as when he invokes
yet-to-be-discovered “chemicals or enzymes capable of
breaking cross-links without injuring anything else.”
In addition, it must be emphasized that researchers
have not come close to solving a single one of the
seven problems. In the case of several, there have
been promising results. Indeed, research on
extracellular cross-links has already yielded several
drug candidates: a company called Alteon, in
Parsippany, NY, has begun clinical trials of molecules
that it says can reverse the effects of some
conditions associated with age. In the cases of some
of the other problems de Grey identifies, however—such
as the prevention of telomere lengthening or the
transfer of mitochondrial DNA to the nucleus—it is
fair to say that molecular biologists can only
speculate about the day, if ever, when these attempts
will come to fruition.

But de Grey is unfazed by this incompleteness. It is
his thesis that time is being lost, and nothing is
accomplished by pessimism about possibilities. For de
Grey, “pie in the sky,” as one biogeron­tologist I
consulted called his formulations, is a tasty delicacy
whose promise already nourishes his soul.

But others can challenge de Grey’s science. My purpose
was something else entirely. I found myself wondering
what sort of man would devote the labors of an
incandescently brilliant mind and a seemingly
indefatigable constitution to such a project. Not only
does the science seem more than a little speculative,
but even more speculative is the assumption on which
the entire undertaking is based—namely, that it is a
good thing for the men and women now populating the
earth to have the means to live indefinitely.

I arrived at the Eagle a few minutes early on the
appointed day, which gave me time to record some of
the words on the memorial plaque near the ­entryway,
which read “An inn has existed at this site since
1667, called ‘Eagle and Child.’...During their
research in the early 1950s, Watson and Crick used the
Eagle as a place to relax and discuss their theories
whilst refreshing themselves with ale.”

Thus properly steeped in history and atmosphere, I
entered the pub just in time to see de Grey through
the window, parking his ancient bicycle across the
narrow street. Narrow, in fact, precisely describes
the man himself, who stands six feet tall, weighs 147
pounds. His spareness is accentuated by a mountain-man
chestnut beard extending down to mid-thorax that seems
never to have seen a comb or brush. He was dressed
like an unkempt graduate student, uncaring of
tailoring considerations of any sort, wearing a
hip-length black mackinaw-type coat that was
borderline shabby. Adorning his head was a knitted
woolen hat of a half-dozen striped transverse colors,
which he told me had been crafted by his wife 14 years
ago. As if to prove its age, the frazzled headgear
(which was knitted with straplike extensions that tied
under the chin) was not without a few holes. When he
removed it, I saw that de Grey’s long straight hair
was held in a ponytail by a circular band of bright
red wool. But in spite of the visual gestalt, de Grey
cannot disguise the fact that he is a boyishly
handsome man. As for his voice, being the product of a
private school followed by Harrow and then Cambridge,
it hardly needs to be described. To an American, he is
of rare fauna, and his distinctiveness was
catch-your-eye apparent even among his Cambridge
colleagues.

Having seen a photo of de Grey on his website, I was
prepared for his beard, spareness, and even his
laissez-faire attitude toward externals. But I was not
prepared for the intensity of those keen blue-gray
eyes, nor for the pallor of the face in which they are
so gleamingly set. His expression was one of
concentrated zeal, even evangelism, and it never let
up during our subsequent six hours of nonstop
conversation across the narrow pub table that
separated us. In the photo, his eyes are so gently
warm that I had commented on them in one of my
e-mails. But I would see none of that warmth during
the 10 hours we spent together, though it reappeared
in the 15 minutes during which we chatted with
Adelaide de Grey in a courtyard between laboratory
buildings after our Monday session at the Eagle.

Adelaide de Grey (née Carpenter) is a highly
accomplished American geneticist and an expert
electron microscopist who, at 60, is 19 years older
than her husband. They met early in 1990, midway
through her Cambridge sabbatical from a faculty
position at the University of California, San Diego,
and were married in April 1991. Neither of them has
ever wanted to have children. “There are already lots
of people who are very good at that,” explained Aubrey
when the subject came up. “It’s either that or do a
lot of stuff you wouldn’t do if you had children,
because you wouldn’t have the time.” Raised as the
only child of an artistic and somewhat eccentric
single mother, already at the age of eight or nine he
had determined to do something with his life “that
would make a difference,” something that he and
perhaps no one else was equipped to accomplish. Why
fritter away resources in directions that others might
pursue just as well or better? With that in mind no
less now than when he was a child, de Grey has trimmed
from his days and thoughts any activity he deems
superfluous or distracting from the goals he sets for
himself. He and Adelaide are two highly focused—some
would say driven—people of such apparent similarity of
motivation and goals that their work is the
overwhelming catalytic force of their lives.

And yet, each member of this uncommon pair is
touchingly tender with the other. Even my brief 15
minutes with them was sufficient to observe the
softness that comes into de Grey’s otherwise
determined visage when Adelaide is near, and her
similar response. I suspect that his website photo was
taken while he was either looking at or thinking of
her.
Adelaide, although at five foot two much shorter than
her husband, looks his perfect sartorial partner: she
dresses in a similar way and is apparently just as
uncaring about her appearance or grooming. One can
easily imagine them on one of their dates, as
described by Aubrey. Walking from the small flat where
they have lived since they married almost 14 years
ago, entering the local laundromat, talking science as
the machines beat up on their well-worn clothes. They
are hardly bons vivants, nor would they want to be;
they quite obviously like things just the way they
are. They appear to care not at all for the usual
getting and spending, nor even for some of the
normative emotional rewards of living in our world—all
at a time when the name of Aubrey de Grey has become
associated with changing that world in unimaginable
ways.

But six uninterrupted hours of compelling talk (most
of it pouring out of him in floods of volubility let
loose by intermittent questions or comments) and the
consumption of numerous pints of Abbot’s ale still
awaited us before I would meet Adelaide and be taken
to the laboratory where de Grey performs the duties of
his “day job.” Very soon after we began speaking, an
hour before noon on that first day, I asked him why
his proposals raise the hackles of so many
gerontologists. And right there, at the very outset of
our discussions, he replied with the dismissive
impatience that would reappear whenever I brought up
one or another of the many objections that either a
specialist or layperson might have regarding the
notion of extending life for millennia. “Pretty much
invariably,” he curtly told me, their objections “are
based on simple ignorance.” Among the bands of that
spectrum that de Grey will not confine to a bushel is
his feeling that his is one of the few minds capable
of comprehending the biology of his formulations, the
scientific and societal logic upon which they are
based, and the vastness of their potential benefits to
our species.

I wanted de Grey to justify his conviction that living
for thousands of years is a good thing. Certainly, if
one can accept such a viewpoint, everything else
follows from it: the push to research beyond the
elucidation of the aging process; the gigantic
investment of talent and money to accomplish and apply
such research; the transformation of a culture based
on the expectation of a finite and relatively short
lifetime to one without horizons; the odd fact that
every adult human being would be physiologically the
same age (because rejuvenation would be the inevitable
result of de Grey’s proposals); the effects on family
relationships—it goes on and on.

De Grey’s response to such a challenge comes in the
perfectly formed and articulated sentences that he
uses in all his writings. He has the gift of
expressing himself both verbally and in print with
such clarity and completeness that a listener finds
himself entranced by the flow of seemingly logical
statements following one after the other. In speech as
in his directed life, de Grey never rambles.
Everything he says is pertinent to his argument, and
so well constructed that one becomes fascinated with
the edifice being formed before one’s eyes. So true is
this that I could not but fix my full attention on him
as he spoke. Though many possible distractions arose
during the hours in which we confronted each other
across that pub table, as people came and went, ate
and drank, talked and laughed, and smoked and coughed,
I never once found myself looking anywhere but
directly at him, except when going to fetch food—a
full lunch for me and only potato chips for him—or
another pint. It was only when reflecting upon the
assumptions on which his argument is based that a
listener discovers that he must insert the word
“seemingly” before “logical” in the second sentence of
the present paragraph. Here follows an aliquot of de
Grey’s reasoning:

The reason we have an imperative, we have a duty, to
develop these thera­pies as soon as possible is to
give future generations the choice. People are
entitled, have a human right, to live as long as they
can; people have a duty to give people the opportunity
to live as long as they want to. I think it’s just a
straightforward extension of the duty-of-care concept.
People are entitled to expect to be treated as they
would treat themselves.

It follows directly and irrevocably as an extension of
the golden rule. If we hesitate and vacillate in
developing life-extension therapy, there will be some
cohort to whom we will deny the option to live much
longer than we do. We have a duty not to deny people
that option.

When I raised the question of ethical or moral
objections to the extreme extension of life, the reply
was similarly seemingly logical and to the point:

If there were such objections, they would certainly
count in this argument. What does count is that the
right to live as long as you choose is the world’s
most fundamental right. And this is not something I’m
ordaining. This seems to be something that all moral
codes, religious or secu­lar, seem to agree on: that
the right to life is the most important right.

And then, to what would seem the obvious objection
that such moral codes assume our current life span and
not one lasting thousands of years:

It’s an incremental thing. It’s not a question of how
long life should be, but whether the end of life
should be hastened by action or inaction.

And there it is—the ultimate leap of ingenious
argumentation that would do a sophist proud: by our
inaction in not pursuing the possible opportunity of
extending life for thousands of years, we are
hastening death.

No word of the foregoing quotes has been edited or
changed in any way. De Grey speaks in formed
paragraphs and pages. Many readers of Technology
Review are all too familiar with how garbled we often
sound when quoted directly. Not so de Grey, who speaks
with the same precision with which he writes.
Admittedly, some may consider his responses to have
the sound of a carefully prepared sermon or sales
pitch because he has answered similar questions many
times before, but all thought of such considerations
disappears when one spends a bit of time with him and
realizes that he pours forth every statement in much
the same way, whether responding to some problem he
has faced a dozen times before or giving a tour of the
genetics lab where he works. His every thought comes
out perfectly shaped, to the amazement of the bemused
observer.

De Grey does not fool himself about the vastness of
the efforts that will be required to make the advances
in science and technology necessary to attain his
objective. But equally, he does not seem fazed by my
suggestion that his optimism might simply be based on
the fact that, having never worked as a bench
researcher in biology, he may not appreciate or even
understand the nature of complex biological systems,
nor fully take into account the possible consequences
of tinkering with what he sees as individual
components in a machine. Unlike engineers, the
adoption of whose method­ology de Grey considers his
main conceptual contribution to solving the problems
of aging, biologists do not approach physiological
events as distinct entities that have no effect on any
others. Each of de Grey’s interventions will very
likely result in unpredictable and incalculable
he is treating, not to mention their extracellular
milieu and the tissues and organs of which they are a
part. In biology, everything is interdependent;
everything is affected by everything else. Though we
study phenomena in isolation to avoid complicating
factors, those factors come into play with a vengeance
when in vitro becomes in vivo. The fearsome concerns
are many: a little lengthening of the telomere here, a
bit of genetic material from a soil bacterium there, a
fistful of stem cells—the next thing you know, it all
explodes in your face.

He replied to all this as to so much else, whether it
be the threat of overpopulation, the effect on
relationships within families and whole societies, or
the need to find employment for vibrantly healthy
people who are a thousand years old: we will deal with
these problems as they come up. We will make the
necessary adjustments, whether in the realm of
potential cellular havoc or of the tortuosities of
economic necessity. He believes that each problem can
be retouched and remedied as it becomes recognized.

De Grey has some interesting notions of human nature.
He insists that, on the one hand, it is basic to
humankind to want to live forever regardless of
consequences, while on the other it is not basic to
want to have children. When I protested that the two
most formative instincts of all living things are to
survive and to pass on their DNA, he quickly made good
use of the one and denied the existence of the other.
Bolstering his argument with the observation that many
people—like Adelaide and himself—choose not to have
children, he replied, not without a hint of petulance
and some small bit of excited waving of his hands,

Your precept is that we all have the fundamental
impulse to reproduce. The incidence of voluntary
childlessness is exploding. Therefore the imperative
to reproduce is not actually so deep seated as
psychologists would have us believe. It may simply be
that it was the thing to do—the more traditional
thing. My point of view is that a large part of it may
simply be indoctrination....I’m not in favor of giving
young girls dolls to play with, because it may
perpetuate the urge to motherhood.

De Grey has commented in several fora on his
conviction that, given the choice, the great majority
of people would choose life extension over having
children and the usual norms of family life. This
being so, he says, far fewer children would be born.
He did not hesitate to say the same to me:

We will realize there is an overpopulation problem,
and if we have the sense we’ll decide to fix it [by
not reproducing] sooner rather than later, because the
sooner we fix it the more choice we’ll have about how
we live and where we live and how much space we will
have and all that. Therefore, the question is, what
will we do? Will we decide to live a long time and
have fewer children, or will we decide to reject these
rejuvenation therapies in order that we can have
children? It seems pretty damn clear to me that we’ll
take the former option, but the point is that I don’t
know and I don’t need to know.

Of course, de Grey’s reason for not needing to know is
that same familiar imperative he keeps returning to,
the impera­tive that everyone is entitled to choice
regardless of the possible consequences. What we need
to know, he argues, can be found out after the fact
and dealt with when it appears. Without giving
humankind the choice, however, we deprive it of its
most basic liberty. It should not be surprising that a
man as insistently individualistic—and as uncommon a
sort—as he would emphasize freedom of personal choice
far more than the potentially toxic harvest that might
result from cultivating that dangerous seed in
isolation. As with every other of his formulations,
this one—the concept of untrammeled freedom of choice
for the individual—is taken out of the context of its
biological and societal surroundings. Like everything
else, it is treated in vitro rather than in vivo.

In campaigns that occur across the length of several
continents, de Grey’s purpose is only secondarily to
overcome resistance to his theories. His primary aim
is to publicize himself and his formulations as widely
as possible, not for the sake of personal glory but as
a potential means of raising the considerable funding
that will be necessary to carry out the research that
needs to be done if his plans are to stand any chance
of so much as partial success. He has laid out a
schedule projecting the timeline on which he would
like to see certain milestones reached.

The first of these milestones would be to rejuvenate
mice. De Grey would extend the life span of a
two-year-old mouse that might ordinarily live one more
year by three years. He believes funding of around
$100 million a year will make this feasible “10 years
from now; almost certainly not as soon as seven years;
but very likely...less than 20 years.” Such an
accomplishment, de Grey believes, will “kick-start a
war on aging” and be “the trigger for enormous social
upheaval.” In an article for the Annals of the New
York Academy of Sciences [de Grey et al., 959:
452–462, 2002], which lists seven coauthors after his
own name, de Grey writes, “We contend that the impact
on public opinion and (inevitably) public policy of
unam­bigu­ous aging-reversal in mice would be so great
that whatever work remained necessary at that time to
achieve adequate somatic gene therapy would be hugely
accelerated.” Not only that, he asserts, but the
public enthusiasm following upon such a feat will
cause many people to begin making life choices based
on the proba­bility that they, too, will reach a
proportional number of years. Moreover, when death
from a disease like influenza, for example, is
considered premature at the age of 200, the urgent
need to solve the problems of infectious disease will
massively increase government and drug company funding
in that area.

In addition to accelerating demand for research, the
tripling of a middle-aged mouse’s remaining life span
would bring in entirely new sources of funding.
Because governments and drug companies tend to favor
research that promises useful results in a relatively
short time, de Grey is not counting on them as a
source. He is relying on an infusion of private money
to supply the funds (significantly more than the cost
of reversing aging in mice) that it will take to
successfully fight his war against aging in humans. De
Grey believes that once aging has been reversed in
mice, billionaires will come forward, intent on living
as long as possible.

Is it likely that the photograph of a long-lived mouse
on the front page of every newspaper in the world
would be greeted with the unalloyed enthusiasm of a
unanimous public? I doubt it. More probably, acclaim
would be balanced by horror. Ethicists, economists,
sociologists, members of the clergy, and many worried
scientists could be counted on to join huge numbers of
thoughtful citizens in a counterreaction. But of
course, if we are to accept de Grey’s first principle,
that the desire to live forever trumps every other
factor in human decision-making, then self-interest—or
what some might call narcissism—will win out in the
end.

De Grey projects that 15 years after we have
rejuvenated mice we might begin to reverse aging in
humans. Early, limited success in extending the human
life span will be followed by successive, more
dramatic breakthroughs, so that humans now living
could reach what de Grey calls “life extension escape
velocity.” De Grey concedes that it might be 100 years
before we begin to significantly extend human life.
What he does not concede is that it is more likely not
to happen at all. He cannot seem to imagine that the
odds are heavily against him. And he cannot imagine
that not only the odds but society itself may be
against him. He will provide any listener or reader
with a string of reasons that are really
rationalizations to explain why most mainstream
gerontologists remain so conspicuously absent from the
ranks of those cheering him on. He has safeguarded
himself against the informed criticism that should
give him cause to ­rethink some of his proposals. He
has accomplished this self-protection by con­structing
a personal worldview in which he is inviolate. He
refuses to budge a millimeter; he will not give ground
to the possibility that any of the barriers to his
success may prove insuperable.

All this makes de Grey sound unlikable. But a major
factor behind his success at attracting a following
has less to do with his science than with himself. As
I discovered during our two sessions at the Eagle, it
is impossible not to like de Grey. Despite his
unhesitant verbal trashing of those who disagree with
him, there is a certain untouched sweetness in the
man, which, combined with his lack of care for outward
appearance and the sincerity of his commitment to the
goals that animate his life, are so disarming that the
entire picture is one of the disingenuousness of
genius, rather than of the self-promotion of the
remote, false messiah. His likability was pointed out
even by his detractors. It is a quality not to be
expected in such an obviously odd and driven duck.

But the most likable of eccentrics are sometimes the
most dangerous. Many decades ago in my naïveté and
ignorance, I thought that the ultimate destruction of
our planet would be by the neutral power of celestial
catastrophe: collision with a gigantic meteor, the
burning out of the sun—that sort of thing. In time, I
came to believe that the end of days would be ushered
in by the malevolence of a mad dictator who would
unleash an arsenal of explosive or biological
weaponry: nuclear bombs, engineered
microörganisms—that sort of thing. But my notion of
“that sort of thing” has been changing. If we are to
be destroyed, I am now convinced that it will not be a
neutral or malevolent force that will do us in, but
one that is benevolent in the extreme, one whose only
motivation is to improve us and better our
civilization. If we are ever immolated, it will be by
the efforts of well-meaning scientists who are
convinced that they have our best interests at heart.
We already know who they are. They are the DNA
tweakers who would enhance us by allowing parents to
choose the genetic makeup of their descendants unto
every succeeding generation ad infinitum, heedless of
the possibility that breeding out variety may alter
factors necessary for the survival of our species and
the health of its relationship to every form of life
on earth; they are the biogerontologists who study
caloric restriction in mice and promise us the
extension by 20 percent of a peculiarly nourished
existence; they are those other biogerontologists who
emerge from their laboratories of molecular science
every evening optimistic that they have come just a
bit closer to their goal of having us live much
longer, downplaying the unanticipated havoc at both
the cellular and societal level that might be wrought
by their proposed manipulations. And finally, it is
the unique and strangely alluring figure of Aubrey de
Grey, who, orating, writing, and striding tirelessly
through our midst with his less than fully convinced
sympathizers, proclaims like the disheveled herald of
a new-begotten future that our most inalienable right
is to have the choice of living as long as we wish.
With the passion of a single-minded zealot crusading
against time, he has issued the ultimate challenge, I
believe, to our entire concept of the meaning of
humanness.

Paradoxically, his clarion call to action is the
message neither of a madman nor a bad man, but of a
brilliant, beneficent man of goodwill, who wants only
for civilization to fulfill the highest hopes he has
for its future. It is a good thing that his grand
design will almost certainly not succeed. Were it
otherwise, he would surely destroy us in attempting to
preserve us.

Sherwin Nuland is clinical professor of surgery at
Yale University’s School of Medi­cine and teaches
bioethics. He is the author of How We Die, which won
the National Book Award in 1994, and Leonardo da
Vinci. He has written for many magazines, including
the New Yorker. Over three decades, he has cared for
around 10,000 patients.

50781.6134206828

'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM