http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=6836

UN: Tsunami relief "inconsistent" in Indonesia
1/28/2005 1:00:00 PM GMT

The UN said that one in eight children in Banda Aceh is not receiving enough
food

The UN said in two reports on Friday that relief supplies are inconsistent
in Indonesia's Aceh province, adding that one in eight children is not
receiving enough food and that the threat of disease still exists in refugee
camps.
"We know there are needs that are not being met ... (But) we are no longer
worried about (whether) anyone is starving. The schools are reopening. That
is a sure sign of recovery," said Bo Asplund, the UN representative in
Indonesia.
One UN report on the camps stated that the situation is appalling along
Aceh's west coast. Some camps lack latrines, forcing people to defecate in
fields or near rivers and ponds where they also bathe.
Although Asplund acknowledged those concerns, he said that the overall
situation was "well onto the path of recovery."
"Some coastal communities - small ones - are still needing adequate food.
... Other communities need better water and sanitation," he said.
"Scary finding"
The UN children's fund said that 12.7 percent of children in Banda Aceh
suffer malnutrition, which affects growth and mental development and weakens
the immune system.
The UNICEF warned that the percentage was a "critical emergency" that needs
immediate response and said that the conditions could be even worse outside
the provincial capital.
"It's a scary finding. Quite honestly, unless we improve water and
sanitation in the camps where these children are staying, it's going to get
worse," said Ali Mokdad, a U.S. researcher who leads a UNICEF survey team.
Governments and rebels begin talks
Meanwhile, government officials and rebels in Indonesia and Sri Lanka
decided to begin talks to ease tensions and ensure the safe delivery of aid
supplies to survivors.
Officials in Jakarta and rebels fighting for the independence of Aceh
province met in Helsinki, Finland on Friday.
"We are going to have face-to-face talks now," Zaini Abdullah, foreign
minister of the exiled leadership of the Free Aceh Movement (GAM), said. "I
am hopeful but it is still too early to say anything."
Moves were also under way in Sri Lanka to end fighting between the Tamil
Tiger rebels and the government. The two parties decided to discuss the
rebels' demands to control the relief efforts in areas they command in the
north and east.
In Phuket, Thailand, a two-day conference started to design plans to
establish a tsunami-warning network.
Experts say that many lives could have been saved if an alert system, like
the one deployed in the Pacific, had been effective in the Indian Ocean on
Dec. 26.

'Thanks & Giving.'
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc