http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=60662&d=19&m=3&y=2005
Saturday, 19, March, 2005 (08, Safar, 1426)

A Third of Shoura Council Seats Sought for Women Members
Maha Akeel & Abeer Mishkhas, Arab News

JEDDAH, 19 March 2005 - Dr. Suhaila Zainul Abideen Hammad, a prominent
executive member of the National Society for Human Rights, has urged
authorities to appoint women to the Shoura Council in the upcoming reshuffle
and give them a third of the seats.

"I asked for a third because 30 new members will be added to the Shoura Council
and 20 existing members will have their membership extended, so why not have
women as the new members, and instead of extending the term of the 20 men
replace them with women," Dr. Suhaila told Arab News.

She emphasized that Shariah does not prevent women from taking part in the
Shoura. "The word shoura or consultation used in the Qur'an is referred to the
general public and does not specify men, which means there is nothing in Islam
that prevents women from participating," she added.

In addition, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) consulted a woman as did
Caliph Omar ibn Al-Khattab on issues concerning the whole Muslim nation and not
just about issues concerning women, she said referring to the present Shoura
practice of consulting women on issues concerning them.

"Lady Ayesha, the Prophet's wife, used to give opinions on general topics, so
why are they restricting women in the issues they can address?" asked Dr.
Suhaila. "Women bring a different perspective to things that men might not have
considered or been aware of as the 50 women who were consulted by the Shoura on
marriage and spinsterhood had done," she added.

"Women are as capable and qualified as men to hold this position and other high
positions because we need the participation of both men and women to have a
full picture of any issue," she said.

She rejected justifications such as Saudi society is not ready for women on the
Shoura or that there is a need to segregate men and women.

"These are old excuses. Women are working in hospitals, in the media and now in
the diplomatic field. The point about seating in the council or segregation as
well as communication via a closed circuit television is up to our leaders to
decide and should not be a major obstacle," she said.

"I'm optimistic that our leadership will see that society needs women in the
Shoura. Our government is stepping forward in its reform efforts and it has
always supported women in giving them their human rights and Islamic rights and
the Shariah is definitely not against involving women in policy and decision
making. So I'm hopeful that the government will respond in a positive way," she
said.

Dr. Asma Siddiqui commended Suhaila for taking up the issue.

"I am glad Dr. Suhaila is at least bringing this issue to the headlines
regardless of whether or not there is any immediate
response to it. Women will have to become active participants in our national
affairs sooner or later. I don't think there will be any major opposition if
women become selected members of the Shoura Council as it does not contradict
any aspect of either our religion or our cultural values," she said.

Already, both the government and the private sector have reached out for more
participation from amongst Saudi women in so many ways. Women have so much
insight into what is happening within our communities. It will be detrimental
to our social structure to keep them sidelined much longer, she added.

Fatima Khaled, a psychologist, said appointment of women must be a priority.
"The council is already using them in an advisory capacity so why not appoint
them to the council," she added.

"The numbers aren't the issue now, but the actual representation of women is a
priority. Once women are appointed then the numbers can be discussed. It could
be one-third or even more for we represent 50 percent of the population," she
said.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;