http://www.abc.net.au/ra/pacbeat/stories/s1340430.htm

Last Updated 07/04/2005

FIJI: Indonesia refuses visa to human rights campaigner

The Director of Fiji's Human Rights Commission has been refused entry to
Indonesia. Dr Shaista Shameem was one of three people named by the United
Nations Secretary-General to review the justice process in Indonesia and East
Timor. And it was in that capacity that she applied for a visa - a request that
has been turned down.

  Listen  |  Audio Help

Presenter/Interviewer: Bruce Hill
Speakers: Imrana Jalal, former Fiji Human Rights Commissioner; Richard Chauvel,
Head of Australia Asia Pacific Institute

HILL: United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan announced in New York earlier
this year that we was appointing a commission of experts to review Timor war
crimes prosecutions and asses why a 1999 Security Council resolution to try
those accused of war crimes has failed.

He named the three experts as Justice Prafullachandra Bhagwati of India,
Professor Yozo Yokota of Japan and Shaista Shameem of Fiji.

Indonesia won't let them in though, and Dr Richard Chauvel, an expert in
Indonesian affairs at Melbourne's Victoria University, says that's not
surprising.

CHAUVEL: It underlines for us just how sensitive the issue of East Timor's
separation and the events that surrounded that remains for Indonesia and for
the Indonesian elite and its domestic politics.

We've seen in the last few days in Canberra and Sydney just how far President
Bambang Yudhoyono has brought Indonesian policy in terms of a rapprochement
with the Australian government, and with Australia more generally.

But the issue of bringing those responsible for what happened in East Timor in
'99 to justice within Indonesia or within an international context is a step
beyond that.

I don't think the composition of the UN team has got anything to do with it. It
may have ramifications for Indonesia's relations with Fiji, but the person
could have come from Outer Mongolia, I don't think it would have made any
difference.

HILL: Imrana Jalal, a former Fiji Human Rights Commissioner and currently human
rights advisor at the UN-funded Pacific Regional Rights Resource Team in Suva
agrees that Dr Shameem coming from Fiji has nothing to do with Indonesia
refusing her a visa.

She says in the context of international relations though, such an action will
be regarded as serious.

JALAL: Rarely do countries deny the office of the High Commissioner the
capacity to allow their representatives to move into a country.

So it is quite serious in UN terms.

Particularly because Indonesia is a member of the United Nations, and it will
be seriously frowned upon. I mean, you know the UN doesn't work by reprimanding
its members but there are ways that refusal will be used to publicise
Indonesia's human rights record.

For example, when a country refuses to allow a particular representative of the
office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights to come into the country, the
implication is that the reason for the visit in the first place is justifiable.

So in a sense the Indonesian government is saying to the international
community at large, we have something to be worried about.

HILL: Dr Shaista Shameem was refused entry into Indonesia in her capacity as a
UN special rapporteur, and not in her capacity as Director of the Fiji Human
Rights Commission, but is there any sense in which this is a Pacific issue?

JALAL: I'm one people who views Timor-Leste as a Pacific country. I know that
geographically that's not correct, but certainly in terms of context, in terms
of level of development, in terms of how the people feel about themselves, I
regard it as a Pacific Island nation.

And there are moves, I understand, for Timor-Leste to enter the Forum group,
which is a Pacific Island regional grouping.

HILL: Could this impact on diplomatic relations between Fiji and Indonesia?

JALAL: Well I wouldn't go so far as to say it would affect relationships, but
certainly it would be frowned upon by the Fiji government that one of its
citizens is being denied entry into Indonesia. And for all the wrong reasons.

The reason it would not have an impact on diplomatic relations is that human
rights is not necessarily high on the agenda of any Pacific Island country.

Perhaps the Fiji government might be minded to write a letter to the Indonesian
government expressing its disappointment that one of its citizens was denied
entry into Indonesia, but I don't think it would have any long-term impact, no.

< back

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org