http://www.arabnews.com/?page=5&section=0&article=63061&d=4&m=5&y=2005

                  Monday, 2, May, 2005 (23, Rabi` al-Awwal, 1426)

                  The Title Haji

                  Q. People in some Muslim countries address a person who has
performed the pilgrimage as Haji. An article published recently in our area
suggests that this is un-Islamic. Please comment.

                  M. Hussain

                  A. This title has no value in Islam. A person who has
performed the pilgrimage has simply fulfilled a duty God requires of all
Muslims. Thus, he is in the same position as one who has prayed or fasted in
Ramadan. We do not give any title to people who fulfill such duties. Why should
we give such a title to the one who fulfills the duty of pilgrimage? Still the
title is used in addressing elder people. This is part of local culture in some
communities. If it is used in such a manner, there is no harm in using it,
although it is preferable not to use it. The person who has done the pilgrimage
wants his action to remain between himself and God. It should not earn him any
privilege among people.

Dying to be thin?
Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore .
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FLQ_sC/gsnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM