Indonesians Report Widespread Rapes of Chinese in
Riots
By SETH MYDANS The New York Times
June 10, 1998

JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Human rights and women's aid
groups have begun to document what they say appears to
have been an organized campaign of assaults, gang
rapes and killings of ethnic Chinese women during
three days of rioting in Jakarta last month.

The aid workers say they have talked with dozens of
victims or relatives of victims, and they estimated on
Tuesday that more than 100 women and girls may have
been attacked and raped in Jakarta alone as their
neighborhoods were burning between May 13 and 15.
There were reports of similar attacks during riots in
other cities that preceded the fall of President
Suharto on May 21.

One worker at a women's aid center, Sita Kayam, said
she believed that hundreds of women were receiving
physical or psychological help at hospitals here.

Other aid workers said most of the victims remained
too traumatized to talk about their experiences and
too terrified of reprisals to report their ordeals to
officials or even to unofficial rape centers. The
police said no reports of rape had been brought to the
authorities.

Another worker at the women's aid center, Ita Nadia,
said some women had committed suicide after their
ordeals.

The reported attacks ranged from the degrading and
humiliating to the horrific; from women who were made
to strip and perform calisthenics in public to women
who were repeatedly raped and then thrown into the
flames of burning buildings.

The reports involve girls and women ranging in age
from 10 to 55, the aid workers said. Some were
gang-raped in front of a crowd in the Chinese
commercial district of Glodok, said Rita Kolibonso,
executive director of the women's group Mitra
Perempuan.

"Some of the rapers said, 'You must be raped because
you are Chinese and non-Muslim,"' said Ms. Ita, who
works at a crisis center called Kalyana Mitra. Ethnic
Chinese citizens, who control much of the country's
commerce, have been targets of violence in Indonesia
for years.

The consensus among human rights workers and rape
counselors is that the attacks were mostly organized
by unknown groups, in the same way that increasing
evidence suggests that organized groups were involved
in instigating attacks of arson and vandalism aimed
largely at ethnic Chinese neighborhoods during the
rioting. This evidence is based on reports that groups
of men arrived simultaneously at various targets in
the city with gasoline bombs and other weapons and
initiated the violence.

Albert Hasibuan, a member of the National Commission
on Human Rights, said human rights workers had talked
with a participant in the riots who said he had been
recruited, briefed, paid and transported by
unidentified men, who provided him and others with
stones and gasoline bombs. The commission is the
official government human-rights monitoring agency,
but since its formation in 1996 has often been
critical of the government.

Because of the organized nature of many of the
reported assaults and because of some physical
descriptions of the attackers, the aid workers said
they suspected that some elements of the armed forces
might have been involved. Some witnesses said they
observed men with muscular builds and military
haircuts, and one victim said she was raped by men who
had a military uniform in their car.

Human rights groups have reported similar suspicions
about reported instigators of the looting and arson,
who traveled in groups through the city in vehicles.

Hasibuan's group reported last week that at least
1,188 people had died in the rioting in Jakarta and
that 40 large shopping centers, 4,083 shops and 1,026
private homes had been attacked, burned or looted.

Lt. Col. Iman Haryatna, the Central Jakarta police
chief, told reporters that victims were welcome to
come forward but that the police had so far received
no reports of assaults on women during the riots.

Because of a widespread mistrust of security forces
both among the victims and human-rights workers, the
reports of rapes are being gathered instead by two
prominent women's crisis centers and three
well-established human rights groups.

Two aid workers said they had received telephone
threats warning them to stop their investigations and
their aid to victims. One of these, a Catholic priest
named Father Sandiyawan who works at the private
Jakarta Social Institute, said someone had sent him a
hand grenade in the mail as a warning.

The other said she received a telephone call on
Saturday in which a man said: "Do you know that a week
ago we sent a grenade to Father Sandiyawan? Do you
want more than the grenade we sent to Father
Sandiyawan?"

Ms. Ita said that three weeks after the riots it is
still very difficult to approach the victims of rapes
and harassment "because their trauma is very deep."

"Even for myself, I will tell you that it is really
emotionally difficult because I have to confront the
experiences of the victims," she said. "It is really
very, very bad."

Slowly and painfully, she and other counselors have
compiled accounts like the following:

A student was abducted at a bus stop, taken to a swamp
near the airport and raped by four men in a car. There
was a green uniform in the car and she asked her
abductors if they were police officers. "If you are
police, you have to save me," she told them, according
to Ms. Ita. One of them answered: "No, I have to give
you a lesson. You are a woman and you are beautiful
and you are part of the Chinese."

In the midst of the riot, a group of men stopped a
city bus and forced out all the non-Chinese women.
"Then they chose the beautiful women among the Chinese
and raped them inside the bus," Sandiyawan said. "The
victims of that incident are really depressive. They
are in the hospital with their families. They are
trying to hide themselves from the public."

A 10-year-old girl returning from school discovered
that the shop-house where her family lived and worked
had been burned. As she went in search of her parents,
she was seized by two men and raped in front of her
neighbors.

One woman, a bank officer, told a local reporter that
she was seized from the back of a motorcycle in the
middle of the riot and thrown to the ground by a group
of men. "She told me she was so hysterical and she was
so panicked that she does not remember what happened,"
the reporter said. "But she showed me a lot of bruises
on her body, especially on her legs."

In an incident of public humiliation, a group of about
15 men entered a bank where 10 ethnic Chinese
employees were taking refuge from the riot. The men
locked the door, made the women take off their clothes
and ordered them to dance.In a similar incident during
a riot in the city of Medan on May 4, 20 female
students at a teachers' training college were stopped
by police officers when they tried to flee the
violence on their campus. The officers forced them to
take off their clothes and perform calisthenics. In
both cases, the women reported that they were fondled
but not raped. In another incident of harassment
during the riot in Jakarta, a number of ethnic Chinese
women were reportedly stripped and made to swim in a
pond.

Ms. Ita told of an ethnic Chinese woman who hid in her
house with her two younger sisters as the rioters
approached. About 10 men came into the house and found
the sisters on the third floor. They made the two
younger women take off their clothes and told the
older sister to stand in a corner, "because you are
too old for us.
" Meanwhile, arsonists entered the lower floors and
set fire to the building." After they had raped her
two sisters, the two men said to her, 'We are finished
and we are satisfied and because you are too old and
ugly we weren't interested in you.' So they took her
two sisters and pushed them to the ground floor where
there was already fire, and they were killed.

"When her mother heard the news, she had a heart
attack and died," Ms. Ita said. "So now this woman is
in a psychiatric hospital. Sometimes she cries when
she tells the story and sometimes she is normal again.
That is one of the stories we have confirmed."

Copyright 1998 The New York Times Company

--
The Straits Times
AUG 28 1998

No proof of rapes, says Wiranto

JAKARTA -- Indonesian Armed Forces chief General
Wiranto has said investigations into 103 reports of
rape during bloody mid-May riots have yet to find
evidence to support the allegations, The Jakarta
Post reported yesterday. "Police have investigated 103
cases but have been unable to prove that any rapes
took place," Information Minister Yunus Yosfiah told
the newspaper, quoting Gen Wiranto.

The general also said 11 Taiwanese activists told him
in a recent meeting that they, too, were unable to
find any evidence of rapes after making their own
checks in Jakarta.

"During their visit to Indonesia, they met with
several people, including officials from the Taiwanese
Consulate here and the State Minister of Women's
Affairs, in search of evidence that the rapes
took place but they could not find any proof," the
minister quoted the general as saying.

Mr Yunus, citing an example given by police in a
report to the military chief, said they had
investigated a report of the rape of four people at an
apartment in North Jakarta.

"After investigation, the result showed that the
alleged victims have been evacuated to Singkawang,
Manado and Minahasa by Father Sandyawan. It is
doubtful that the rapes took place," he said.

Father Sandyawan, a Catholic priest, leads the
Volunteers for Humanity rights group.

Activists, including the priest, have said some 168
women, mostly ethnic Chinese, were gang-raped or
sexually assaulted during the mass violence here and
in several other cities in May.

More than 1,000 people died in the riots, which were
directed largely against the ethnic Chinese community.

The activists also said that 20 of the rape victims
eventually died after their ordeal or committed
suicide.

Officials, including the police chief and head of the
state intelligence agency, have said they have not
found evidence to substantiate the figures.

Mr Yunus cited another case that was supposedly
reported to a West Jakarta church but said that again,
no evidence was found.

But Mr Marzuki Darusman, vice-chairman of the
Indonesian Human Rights Commission and head of the
rape-investigation team, said last week he
was in no doubt the allegations were true.

"If you ask me whether there were rapes, I would say
yes. Some members of my team have visited the
victims," he told reporters.

Meanwhile, two people, believed to be key witnesses in
the May riots, have gone missing, the unofficial
Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence
(Kontras) said on Wednesday. -- Reuters, AFP

http://us.click.yahoo.com/MCfFmA/SOnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;