http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=64205&d=23&m=5&y=2005

Monday, 23, May, 2005 (14, Rabi` al-Thani, 1426)

      Shoura Rules Out Debate on Women Driving
      Raid Qusti, Arab News

      RIYADH, 23 May 2005 - An official speaking for the Shoura Council said
the issue of women driving in the Kingdom would not be discussed in the
council. The official told Al-Riyadh newspaper that what had been said in the
media and on the Internet about the Shoura discussing the topic was "untrue."
He went on to say, "The council has no intentions of raising this topic for
discussion despite what has been said in the press."

      At the same time, Dr. Muhammad Al-Zulfa, the Shoura Council member who
had hoped that yesterday's session would at least discuss the matter of women
driving as part of the redesigned traffic laws, expressed his disappointment
that the recommendation had not been passed on to the council.

      "It seems that for some reason, the recommendation regarding women
driving was not passed to the council. I really do not know why," he told Arab
News.

      He said in order for a topic to be raised by a council member for
discussion, it first had to be approved by the chairman of the council. Then it
would be put on the floor for discussion.

      Dr. Al-Zulfa said: "I do not know why the recommendation was not approved
by the president. We are not asking for a discussion of something that is
sinful in our religion or in our culture. I think a lot of people in our
society want to find a solution to this problem which is that women are not
allowed to drive. "

      He added: "I hope that the issue will be raised for discussion as I am
sure that the council members with their experience will want to comment on the
topic and also get the advice from related consultative bodies."

      When asked about other sensitive issues which have been discussed in the
Shoura Council but have not been implemented - such as physical education in
girls' schools - Al-Zulfa said: "There are many problems that come up whenever
we want to discuss anything to do with women in our country. We do not even
know how to discuss things on their behalf since they are not allowed to
express themselves in our society."

      He mentioned that discussing such sensitive women-related topics always
seemed to create an "invisible wall" which prevented the topic from being
implemented.

      Commenting on the Shoura Council's 75 percent approval last year of
girls' physical education, he said: "I do not know how the decision evaporated
and why it never found its way to the Council of Ministers."

      Last week, Dr. Al-Zulfa told the local media that he would present a
paper to the council in which he discussed 18 reasons why women driving would
be good for the country. "Last week in the Shoura Council, I talked about the
burden of foreign drivers because women are not allowed to drive. The foreign
drivers not only cost the country SR12 billion a year, but it has also made
Saudi families so reliant on foreign drivers that the drivers are considered
the guardian of the family and this is a dangerous social phenomena," he said.

      "Allowing women to drive would not only enable them to carry out their
duties by themselves, but it would enable society to get rid of foreign drivers
who have become 'time bombs,' creating social problems as well as wasting
economic resources. We have about one million foreign drivers working in our
country and they cost us SR12 billion a year. They come from different
cultures. Some of them may be criminals and others do not even know how to
drive and so violate many traffic rules and cause many accidents."

      He concluded: "Those who reject the idea of women driving have traveled
abroad and seen how women can drive without anyone harassing them. And the
assertion that our country has not developed enough to discuss such things is
wrong. People said the same thing about elections and they turned out to be a
huge success. Nothing is non-negotiable or not discussable except the basics of
our religion as they are in the Qur'an and the Prophet's sayings. People should
not succumb to extremist thoughts or extreme ideologies of the sort that feeds
militant extremism from which this country has already suffered much."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/HO7EnA/3MnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.org

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;