Abu Abdullah Mohammad Ibn Musa al-Khawarizmi was born at Khawarizm
(Kheva), south of Aral sea. Very little is known about his early
life, except for the fact that his parents had migrated to a place
south of Baghdad. The exact dates of his birth and death are also
not known, but it is established that he flourished under Al- Mamun
at Baghdad through 813-833 and probably died around 840 C.E.

Khawarizmi was a mathematician, astronomer and geographer. He was
perhaps one of the greatest mathematicians who ever lived, as, in
fact, he was the founder of several branches and basic concepts of
mathematics. In the words of Phillip Hitti, he influenced
mathematical thought to a greater extent than any other medieval
writer. His work on algebra was outstanding, as he not only
initiated the subject in a systematic form but he also developed it
to the extent of giving analytical solutions of linear and quadratic
equations, which established him as the founder of Algebra. The very
name Algebra has been derived from his famous book Al-Jabr wa-al-
Muqabilah. His arithmetic synthesized Greek and Hindu knowledge and
also contained his own contribution of fundamental importance to
mathematics and science. Thus, he explained the use of zero, a
numeral of fundamental importance developed by the Arabs. Similarly,
he developed the decimal system so that the overall system of
numerals, 'algorithm' or 'algorizm' is named after him. In addition
to introducing the Indian system of numerals (now generally known as
Arabic numerals), he developed at length several arithmetical
procedures, including operations on fractions. It was through his
work that the system of numerals was first introduced to Arabs and
later to Europe, through its translations in European languages. He
developed in detail trigonometric tables containing the sine
functions, which were probably extrapolated to tangent functions by
Maslama. He also perfected the geometric representation of conic
sections and developed the calculus of two errors, which practically
led him to the concept of differentiation. He is also reported to
have collaborated in the degree measurements ordered by Mamun al-
Rashid were aimed at measuring of volume and circumference of the
earth.

The development of astronomical tables by him was a significant
contribution to the science of astronomy, on which he also wrote a
book. The contribution of Khawarizmi to geography is also
outstanding, in that not only did he revise Ptolemy's views on
geography, but also corrected them in detail as well as his map of
the world. His other contributions include original work related to
clocks, sundials and astrolabes.

Several of his books were translated into Latin in the early 12th
century. In fact, his book on arithmetic, Kitab al-Jam'a wal-
Tafreeq bil Hisab al-Hindi, was lost in Arabic but survived in a
Latin translation. His book on algebra, Al-Maqala fi Hisab-al Jabr
wa-al- Muqabilah, was also translated into Latin in the 12th
century, and it was this translation which introduced this new
science to the West "completely unknown till then". He astronomical
tables were also translated into European languages and, later, into
Chinese. His geography captioned Kitab Surat-al-Ard, together with
its maps, was also translated. In addition, he wrote a book on the
Jewish calendar Istikhraj Tarikh al-Yahud, and two books on the
astrolabe. He also wrote Kitab al-Tarikh and his book on sun-dials
was captioned Kitab al-Rukhmat, but both of them have been lost.

The influence of Khawarizmi on the growth of science, in general,
and mathematics, astronomy and geography in particular, is well
established in history. Several of his books were readily translated
into a number of other languages, and, in fact, constituted the
university textbooks till the 16th century. His approach was
systematic and logical, and not only did he bring together the then
prevailing knowledge on various branches of science, particularly
mathematics, but also enriched it through his original contribution.
No doubt he has been held in high repute throughout the centuries
since then.

.
http://www.famousmuslims.com/MOHAMMAD%20BIN%20MUSA%20AL-
KHAWARIZMI.htm